Help - Rod Brakes!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

olliewally87

Hi,

I am new to this forum, so first of all hello!

I’ve got a question regarding rod brakes - I’ve been trying to get the rear rod brake on my 1952 Triumph working. To me, the rod underneath the down tube appears too long - could this be the case? I got the bike from a jumble and It wasn’t working at the time so I wonder if I’ve got the wrong part. Anyone got much experience with rod brakes that could offer some advice? I’ve attached a photo for reference!

Thanks in advance.
Ollie

Attachments

• 0AEC0B7B-19FD-49D7-889B-BB934A7AF90D.jpeg
    0AEC0B7B-19FD-49D7-889B-BB934A7AF90D.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 71

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi,

I am new to this forum, so first of all hello!

I’ve got a question regarding rod brakes - I’ve been trying to get the rear rod brake on my 1952 Triumph working. To me, the rod underneath the down tube appears too long - could this be the case? I got the bike from a jumble and It wasn’t working at the time so I wonder if I’ve got the wrong part. Anyone got much experience with rod brakes that could offer some advice? I’ve attached a photo for reference!

Thanks in advance.
Ollie
The rod has slipped at the adjustment point, in front of the steering head tube (that is where they adjust) it should be shorter

The link piece should be at an angle in order that the leverage pulls the down-tube rod however the pads may not be adjusted correctly on the stirrup and may need to go further back.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I don't have much experience with rod brakes at all, certainly no recent experience, but perhaps it's not so much that the bit under the down tube is too long and rather that the bit by the head tube could do with being a bit shorter (so that linkage would be a bit more angled and bring the rear pads a bit closer to the rim at the back end).

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

olliewally87

The rod has slipped at the adjustment point, in front of the steering head tube (that is where they adjust) it should be shorter

The link piece should be at an angle in order that the leverage pulls the down-tube rod however the pads may not be adjusted correctly on the stirrup and may need to go further back.

Hi,

Many thanks for the response. I had originally thought this but the rod down from the handle bar is as far down into the connecting link as it will go - there is no room for adjustment here. Are there any disadvantages if I were to cut part the rod shorter?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi,

Many thanks for the response. I had originally thought this but the rod down from the handle bar is as far down into the connecting link as it will go - there is no room for adjustment here. Are there any disadvantages if I were to cut part the rod shorter?
Be easier to raise the handlebars a touch to try it (that'll cause the rod to be effectively shorter)

Top Bottom