help setting up gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

busdennis

Veteran
hi
im building up a 501 frame as a tt bike with my plan of using a chain ring up front with a 10 speed cassette at the back. i bought a new SRAM Rival derailleur and changer to be used with an almost new 105 chain and 105 rear cassette. would you line up the front chain ring with the middle of the rear cassette. is this combination going to work?

thanks

Is it a modern frame? If not then you will have to cold set the rear end to accept 10 speed, see HERE

If it is, or if you do cold set it, then SRAM and Shimano components work perfectly well together IME.

To actually answer the question though - lining it up in the middle would be ok, but as it is a TT bike, you could line it up more towards the higher range (smaller sprockets) if you were able to be that precise with chain line.

Depending on the age of the frame, if it doesn't already have 130mm dropout spacing, you will need to get it re-set.

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
Are you saying you are going to run a single chainring?
thats what i was thinking. is it possible/been done before?
To actually answer the question though - lining it up in the middle would be ok, but as it is a TT bike, you could line it up more towards the higher range (smaller sprockets) if you were able to be that precise with chain line.

Depending on the age of the frame, if it doesn't already have 130mm dropout spacing, you will need to get it re-set.
it is an old frame but accepts a wheel with a 10 speed cassette without problem

spent an hour this am trying the best possition for the front chain ring but have not found the "sweet spot" at present as it is randomly jumping 1 or 2 rear sprockets on a single click

Is it a modern frame? If not then you will have to cold set the rear end to accept 10 speed, see HERE

If it is, or if you do cold set it, then SRAM and Shimano components work perfectly well together IME.
my understanding was that sram and shimano worked together but i just needed to check

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
still struggling with getting these gears sorted
this is the changer im using with a 10 speed rival derailleur.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31540
without the cable the shfter clicks without effert 9 times
with the cable tensioned enough to change 1 sprocket at a time it is impossible to get to the low gears, sprocket 8,9 and 10 (too much resistance on the cable) and jumps back dowm the block several sprockets at a time. release some tension and it will not change from sprocket 1 to 2

Top Bottom