Help - trying to assemble folding bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, my cheap ebay folder experiment has arrived and I'm trying to build it up. However, unfortunatley so far I'm failing miserably.

The steerer tube has got a screw at the bottom, however there is nothing in or below the headtube to screw it into, it's just basically a pipe with a hole at the bottom, and I can't find any part that looks relevant in any way shape or form, so obviously I can't fasten it on.

Not sure if that makes any sense, but if anybody has any bright ideas, they would be highly welcome!!!!

pic's hun we need pic's

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Right, here we go...

Pic 1 is the screw at the bottom of the steerer that doesn't appear to have a home, pic 2&3 are the headtube (couldn't really get the inside to show, but it's basically an empty pipe), pic 4 are the spare parts, which I suspect are to fasten the mudguards on, although there are a few bits in there that I'm not sure about either)

Please help!!!

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

MartinC

Über Member
This is a standard quill stem fitting. At the other end (in the hinge) there will be a screw head (probably an Allen bolt head). Put the stem in the steerer tube and then tighten the Allen bolt up. This will pull up the ridged wedge at the bottom of the stem and lock it into the steerer tube.

I'm not being funny but if you don't seem to know very much about bikes. What else do you need to assemble to put the bike together? If you tell us we may be able to forestall other problems.

That looks like a quill stem. There should be a bolt on the top of the stem, usually an allen key one. Push the stem into the top of the steerer (you may need to loosen it off a bit) and then tighten up the bolt to make the wedge shaped bit jam into the steerer. That should sort it.

ETA: Pah, beaten by MartinC

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Ah, I see where you are coming from. Never had to deal with a quill stem, both my other bikes do have A headsets - also the steerer was in the unfolded position, so I didn't realise there was a bolt as it was hidden in the folding mechanism and I was expecting something for the screw to go in at the bottom ;) .

Will have another go - am I right in assuming I chuck on a load of grease before sticking it all together?

tyred

Legendary Member
Yes. Grease all threads and put grease on the quill stem before inserting. Also grease the seatpost. It might be an idea to use vaseline for this instead of grease as on a folding bike, you probably need to move it regualrily to fold the thing and vaseline is less messy.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
hmph...got the handlebars etc on, but it turns out the quick release for the main fold is not working properly, so the bolt doesn't fasten the frame together properly, which basically means it's not really safe to ride and the way it's manufactured there doesn't seem to be a way of changing it either. I know that going for a cheapo was a risk and I wasn't expecting it to be brilliant, but rideable would be a good start, grumble! :biggrin:

Email sent to seller, so we shall see what they say...

MartinC

Über Member
punkypossum said:
Ah, I see where you are coming from. Never had to deal with a quill stem, both my other bikes do have A headsets...................QUOTE]

Sorry, didn't mean to sound patronising - was just concerned that the job had turned out to be a bit more difficult than you'd expected. Good luck. Hope the seller sorts it out promptly.

Top Bottom