Help urgently needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kath

Regular
Hey welcome. If you don't mind travelling out of Belfast you could try
Cicli Sport
www.ciclisport.com
24 Market Street, Moneymore, Co Londonderry

I bought my Specialized Hybrid from this shop a while back. They were brilliant very helpful. And I would go back again to them I live approx an hours drive from this shop and it was recommended to me and I'm
Just passing that recommendation on to you. It's owned by Father and Son and they can talk lol.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Best of luck with it mate. As you have already mentioned... spokes on the rear wheel may be an issue. Don't ask me how I know this :whistle:

I can foresee the future... a handbuilt rear wheel, with 36 shiny spokes! :biggrin:

Oh yeah, top tip: you will make an immediate weight loss. Don't let it go to your head and get into the habit of over eating, after short - medium distance rides. It will take time and dedication to reach your goals. Lots of hard work and some sacrifices but it can be done! You should have a lot of fun, along the way :bicycle: Enjoy it!

OP
OP
Heavy Traffic

Heavy Traffic

Kath
I appreciate you taking the time to pass on your recommendation! I'll certainly have a look at ciclisport; I've been to a couple of places, one in particular that I found quite disappointing. There was a an air of "what are you doing in my shop?" sort of thing .... however, I visited Chain Reaction today and one of their guys spent half an hour with me looking at possibilities, and I've got my eye on a Ghost hybrid at the moment. If I don't find anything more suitable that'll be the one that I'll go for.
Thanks for getting in touch!
Fin

Kath

Regular
That's dead on Fin, I thought I'd let you know about them, I told them what I wanted the bike for and they were helpful enough to sort me out with the right size cause I'm vertically challenged as well as a bit chubby lol but anyway they were really easy to chat to in fact I think I was there for a couple of hours chatting to them. Oh and the Son is called Johnathan his bike is to die for the colours on it made me just want to take it home with me to hang on the wall. But if you ever get a chance go take a look at the shop. My partner has said if he goes to buy a new bike he is def going there to get it. But good luck with whichever you go for.

bubbles3

Hi Fin
Good Luck choosing your new bike. One store in Belfast i can recommend is McConvey cycles. I didn't get my bike from them but i found the guy really helpful when i was needing help with a few other bits of kit. They have a web site to. think it's www.mcconveycycles.com
Hope you find what you are looking for and enjoy getting out there.

OP
OP
Heavy Traffic

Heavy Traffic

Bubbles
McConvey's is def on my to-do list; like I said, the Ghost hybrid is in pole at the moment but I want to cast my net as widely as I can without wasting too many more days of our so-called summer! It seems I was unduly worried about finding a bike that would carry my weight, but I'll not be convinced until I'm sitting on the bike and the tyres aren't flat to the tarmac under me!!!
Thanks very much for getting in touch, appreciate it.
Fin

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
The limits on most bikes are 120kg plus baggage, but the overall weight limit is 160kg. According to Cycling Plus magazine, any Giant bikes will take excess weight and do not have a limit.
Thats interesting I didnt realise they were especially good. Ive been riding my Giant hybrid pretty hard at 125kg doing intervals/strava segment chasing, riding MTB trails in the woods (even tried some of the teeny jumps and crashed a couple of times :crazy:) and its been thoroughly awesome. The only issue i've had with being heavy is that wear on the bike seems higher, i get through brake pads quicker so probably rims too, even chain/cassettes, my pedal cages are creaky and the pressure on the road makes me consistently more likely to puncture.

OP
OP
Heavy Traffic

Heavy Traffic

Thanks Jamie
I'm taking all this information on board, trust me! I can assure you that I won't be doing anything as strenuous as you're doing, well, at least not at first! I suppose it's all really trial and error; once I've made my purchase I'll have all those issues in front of me, but I'm sure the learning curve will be an interesting one!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
HT,
There is a thread on here somewhere about someone shedding a huge load of weight, very inspirational. BUT, I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. Maybe some king soul will point you in the right direction. This time next year you'll be a racing snake!

OP
OP
Heavy Traffic

Heavy Traffic

Dave
Thanks, I'll have a look for that! I'm hoping to get the bike early next week from those very helpful folks at Chain Reaction Cycles in Belfast! I've plumped for a Ghost SE1300 hybrid, which, I hope, will help me shed the weight I've so miserably failed to shift. It looks great too!

RhythMick

Über Member
Hiya and good luck. I made the same move 12 months ago and have dropped a stone. More importantly I'm WAY fitter than I was, horrifies me now to think of how little I used to be able to do before I got out of breath.

I'd definitely recommend getting a bike fit, which any decent bike shop should be able to do. I wouldn't do HALFORDS, just because they don't seem inclined to make sure you get the right bike - just so long as you a bike.

If you go for a new bike, make sure they leave you plenty of height adjustment on the bars. With mine they did what they would do for the ... Ahem ... Speedier and racier type of rider and cut the forks quite short. All the spacers are on the bottom so aside from flipping the stem (which I've done) I have no more upwards adjustment. I suffered a lot with wrist pain and numb fingers until I paid more attention to the fit.

Hybrids will give you a good all round bike. One option for you to look at and consider is a Cyclocross bike. Kind of like a tougher road bike with more ground clearance and clearance for wider tyres. I use my Planet X Kaffenback for everything except real mountain biking. My commute include both road and trail and the latter can be a bit rough - the Kaffenback eats up whatever I throw it at and just keeps going. I always come back with a big grin when I've been out on the Kaffenback.

And that is the most important thing for losing weight and keeping it off I think. Enjoy it.

Top Bottom