Help weight related not cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
How far do you cycle each day ComedyPilot? 3 stones in 5 months sounds like good going :ohmy:

Tell us ur secret :angry:

domtyler

Über Member
Chewing gum is good if you are prone to snack attacks. I was snacking constantly at work but then found that having a piece of gum was enough to satisfy the urge as it was mainly a boredom linked thing.

colly

Re member eR
My pennyworth.......I stopped eating a cereal breakfast every morning and took to either having a couple of scrambled eggs or an omelet and or a couple of rashers of lean grilled bacon, cut out the bread totally for a few weeks, and left off cakes and biscuits (not that I ate many of them anyway), had home made soup for lunch with some fruit of some kind, and for me anyway the pounds just dropped away.
Surprisingly I never had those niggling yearnings for a mid morning snack.
I didn't increase my riding or exercise any either.

Also always go food shopping after having eaten.

got-to-get-fit

it sounds like you want to loose the weight as you feel you are unatractive to the opposite sex and as your relationship has recently split you feel the need to look more attractive.

The reality is that most blokes would much rather have a more rounded woman than an overtoned beanpole of a woman.
Sadly society forces upon us images of what is the ideal woman / shape/ size and they are usually a long way off reality.

Personally i would rather have someone shaped like Nigela Lawson than someone shaped like Maddona.

Guy ritchie said in this weekends papers that making love to maddona was like wrapping your arms around tough gristle.............!

Now who would want to cuddle up to a lump of gristle.....honestly??

I think you sound perfect willow

It might be useful to understand a bit more about what happens to your body when you are on your bike. Mrs M is on target to hit 4000km this year, her best ever since she got into cycling about ten years ago. Her mileage is amazing, way more than mine, and it's obviously doing her some good but I know that she isn't making the most of her time on the bike.
The basics are (from memory), if you want to get fitter you need to spend a minimum of one hour a week at 75% of your maximium heart rate. The body reacts differently to different levels of exercise because it responds to the expectations placed on it. For example if you push a high gear (low RPM, slow, hard pedalling) your body will react by increasing the bulk of the muscles being used, like doing weights. If you use lower gears (high RPM, fast pedalling) your body will respond by improving your cardiovascular system in an effort to provide your muscles with more oxygen. Somewhere between these two extremes is the zone where the body burns fat, but you can't burn fat effectively without a good level of cardio fitness. Aim for good cardio and everything else will fall into place; improved fitness, better muscle tone and reduced bodyfat.

Many people climb on their bikes and pedal at what seems to them to be a comfortable rate but the problem is that as pi-peds we are self programmed to use our legs at a walking pace, as a result they never get into a heart rate zone which provides any substantial benefit to their fitness levels. Too many folks trundle around in a gear which is too hard and whilst this level of exercise is better than no exercise at all it makes sense to try and optimize your on the bike time for maximum effect.

Short of buying a heart rate monitor...
At least three times a week you need to spend at least twenty minutes riding hard with your legs spinning like the clappers. Aim to get out of breath. Add ten minutes warm up and ten minutes warm down at the beginning and end of each ride where you pedal lightly at relatively low speed.

The self-gratification artist doesn't deserve you.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Try making yourself a drink instead when you head in the kitchen for a snack ... but if you always have a biscuit with your coffee then try a different drink.

I snack on nuts when I'm good (this morning I've had a packet of crisps - bad bad bad before 10!!! - bored youngest is on in-service day, he doesn't want to do anything but play with lego!!!)

puddleglum

Hi Willow,
I've read the replies to your original post and there is a lot of good advice out there...
I've been cycling properly now for 6 months and found the weight came off naturally just by doing the exercise, although the toning up was more obvious at first.
I found one way of doing it was to eat whatever I wanted on days when I went out on the bike, and that means choc, crisps and even Aldi peanut cereal bars (mmmmmmm).
On my rest days I ate less of the high carb stuff and concentrated more on stuff like omelettes, fish, chicken etc. I'd read somewhere that muscles need the protein to rebuild the tiny bits of damage that exercise inflicts on them.
It seemed to work quite well.
Maybe your recent trauma has reinforced an emotional conection to food? Everyone has that to some extent but all the pedalling might make you see your body as an engine needing fuel and cause you to start seeing food differently, if you know what I mean. And lots of cycling will give you the good side effects of increased tone and fitness, which might further reinforce that.

GI Diet
GI Diet
GI Diet
GI Diet

I can't recommend it highly enough. I lost a stone earlier this year and it has stayed off. It wasn't a hassle, and it's a permanent change in eating habits, not a faddy diet. Other people on the board recommend it too.

Top Bottom