1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! What child seat will fit an old bike?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Josephone, 20 Mar 2017 at 19:36.

1. Josephone

Josephone New Member

Hi
    I'm new here, but would appreciate any advice that people may have for my predicament! Bit of a long shot, but here goes...
    I have an old (circa 20 years) Gary Fisher 'zebrano' bike. It still works fine. I have a little boy and was looking to get a child seat fitted.
    Herein lies the problem. My local bicycle shop (Evans) didn't think that any of the child seats currently on the market would fit my bike, something to do with the old style positioning of cables and bolts. They thought they could hash up a fitting of a Topeak baby seat ii but only if the manufacturer would confirm that the seat would be structurally sound using a seat where the weight was resting on two bolts at the back. My attempts to get in touch with the topeak manufacturer have not got me past the UK distributer, who understandable would not comment on the issue. I'm not really willing to put the safety of my little boy at stake.
    I'm aware i could maybe look on eBay or similar for an old seat but haven't got a clue what i am looking for in terms of compatability. Does anyone have any knowledge of what second hand seat might fit?
    Otherwise I'm going to have to buy a new bike for the sake of a seat!! I've attached some pictures. Thank you in advance!!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Mar 2017 at 19:42
  2. stalagmike

stalagmike I love the smell of wet lube in the morning...

Have you thought about a front mounted one? Depends on the age and size of your child, but we had one of these and it worked well.
    http://www.ibert.bike/

3. Josephone

Josephone New Member

Hi, thanks for the reply :smile: Yeah - the shop was including those when they said the bike wouldn't fit any current models :/ so haven't had much chance to decide whether i had any preference! Thanks for the link though. Will check them out just in case!

4. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Well-Known Member

A pricier and perhaps more inconvenient option, but if all else fails you could always get a child bike trailer. Also :welcome: to Cyclechat!

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

That's a weird thing for a bike shop to say. Check out Hamax seats, they fit to the seat tube.

Stephenite likes this.
  6. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

If a Topeak rack will fit your bike then the matching child seat will be fine. Do not mix 'n' match though

mcshroom likes this.
  7. Stephenite

Stephenite Mæmbå

Hi and welcome to CC @Josephone . Google images of Hamax Siesta for example. I have one. You'll find they fit most bikes, inc. your Zebrano. You may have spoken to an inexperienced employee.

stalagmike likes this.