Help! What child seat will fit an old bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Josephone

Hi
I'm new here, but would appreciate any advice that people may have for my predicament! Bit of a long shot, but here goes...
I have an old (circa 20 years) Gary Fisher 'zebrano' bike. It still works fine. I have a little boy and was looking to get a child seat fitted.
Herein lies the problem. My local bicycle shop (Evans) didn't think that any of the child seats currently on the market would fit my bike, something to do with the old style positioning of cables and bolts. They thought they could hash up a fitting of a Topeak baby seat ii but only if the manufacturer would confirm that the seat would be structurally sound using a seat where the weight was resting on two bolts at the back. My attempts to get in touch with the topeak manufacturer have not got me past the UK distributer, who understandable would not comment on the issue. I'm not really willing to put the safety of my little boy at stake.
I'm aware i could maybe look on eBay or similar for an old seat but haven't got a clue what i am looking for in terms of compatability. Does anyone have any knowledge of what second hand seat might fit?
Otherwise I'm going to have to buy a new bike for the sake of a seat!! I've attached some pictures. Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• DSC_0274.JPG
    DSC_0274.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:

stalagmike

Enormous member
Have you thought about a front mounted one? Depends on the age and size of your child, but we had one of these and it worked well.
http://www.ibert.bike/

OP
OP
J

Josephone

Hi, thanks for the reply :smile: Yeah - the shop was including those when they said the bike wouldn't fit any current models :/ so haven't had much chance to decide whether i had any preference! Thanks for the link though. Will check them out just in case!

Top Bottom