Help - what pannier rack can I put on my bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nindustrial

I have recently purchased a 2011 Giant Bowery Mashup, and am enjoying it very much:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/bowery.mashup/8071/45717/

This is my first Giant bike, and it is rapidly proving to be a great commuter. I do have a support question though which I am hoping someone can help me with. I took it in to my bike-store to ask this question, and they were unable to help me.

There are two eyelet holes just above the tension adjuster on the rear-fork, visible on the online pic if you zoom in:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_ca/bikes/models/images/2000/2011/Bowery_MashUp_wht2000.jpg

I would like to know what these are for? I was hoping I could use them to put a light pannier rack onto the bike, but the mechanic at my bike-store couldnt find a bike-rack that would fit. Is this what they are for, and what sort of rack could i use?

I desperately need a rack on this bike, as I'm primarily using it for commuting, and I don't like the seat-post racks I've seen so far.

Greatly appreciate your help!

Pauluk

Can't see them clearly in the pic. Are the holes threaded, one each side. If they are then that's probably what they are for, or for mudguards of coarse.
I couldn't get a panier to fit my bike so I had to make my own mounting strips. I can only suggest that you try some other shops if you can.

lejogger

Guru
Check out the Tubus website here.

They have loads of different adapters for fixing their racks to any bike. If you cant screw the rack into those eyelets (you should be able to though) then there's options for seatstay mounting using P clips, or QR adapter for using your QR skewer in the rear wheel.

You'll probably also need to look at the adapters for attaching the rack to either the brake caliper or the seat post as you don't seem to have any eyelets at the top of the seat stays.

IMHO you'd be best looking at something like the Tubus Fly in that case as it just uses one single connecting arm rather than the two. It's lightweight but will be fine for a commute - just not heavy touring.

HTH

sidevalve

Über Member
Check if the holes are threaded [the threads may be covered in paint] if so [it will probably be M5] they were most likely meant for mudguards and/or a rack. You may have to be careful to avoid what seems like an adjuster wheel however.

Top Bottom