HELP! What Raleigh is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Raleigh has used the 'Rapide' name more than once, so there's a fair amount of noise on Google. But with your head badge it has to be a late 60's one. I'm pretty sure that version of the Rapide was not imported to the US, so I'm unfamiliar with it. But there are some images on Google:
tumblr_m542j63yHB1rx0ymxo1_1280.png

Seems pretty close, no?

Never mind that, what a gorgeous looking frame, even though the blue bit does look somewhat out of place!!

OP
OP
ChopperGav

ChopperGav

Über Member
It could possibly be earlier than the late '60s - the oval badge was introduced in 1962 although it's use seems sporadic. My 1966 Worksop built Supercourse has one.

Thank for that, I'm still digging but maybe you could help with a couple of things, what are the components as some of mine are missing plus what are the decals like & positions.
Thank you.

systemBuilder

I have a collection of mid-1960's through mid-1970's Carltons purchased via Raleigh in the USA & my first 10-speed was a 1972 Raleigh Grand Prix. I also OWN that 1968 competition which appears in the catalog page you describe (by the way those are Nervex Pro lugs no Legere lugs), sir, this bicycle is no Raleigh/Carlton Competition. I have a pretty complete set of catalogs and one or two missing from www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/ . My earliest carlton is 1950.

I am sorry to report that those (quite heavy) carlton wrapover seatstays were used only on low-end models, plain gauge carbon-steel (8 lbs+) frames and perhaps truwell tubing, never on a 531 main tubes bike (usa : super course ; uk: carlton catalina). The Nervex Legere lugs were not used on any models in the USA after 1965. I think the Legeres might have been used on the Carlton Catalina (which also used capella and bocama feature-cut lugs) or "Raleigh Carlton" (as they were called in the USA). Here you can just barely see the traces of the front of the Nervex Legere lugs on a 1967-68 "Raleigh Carlton" model sold in the USA :

http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/catalogs/Retro-Raleighs/67-Catalog.pdf

No other 1960's or 1970's Carlton Lug had this configuration (nervex pro, prugnat longpoints/p1 latin line, prugnat 62s, bocama competition, bocama feature-cut, carlton capella, haden sovereign, etc.)

If you could give us the serial number from the bottom bracket (letter(s) + numbers) or rear dropout (numbers only) that might pinpoint the year.

The Raleigh 80th Anniversary Badge was used in 1968 only. It was not used in any other year, because no other year was the 80th anniversary of Raleigh. My 1968 competition came with an anniversary badge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChopperGav

ChopperGav

Über Member
I have a collection of mid-1960's through mid-1970's Carltons purchased via Raleigh in the USA & my first 10-speed was a 1972 Raleigh Grand Prix. I also OWN that 1968 competition which appears in the catalog page you describe (by the way those are Nervex Pro lugs no Legere lugs), sir, this bicycle is no Raleigh/Carlton Competition. I have a pretty complete set of catalogs and one or two missing from www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/ . My earliest carlton is 1950.

I am sorry to report that those (quite heavy) carlton wrapover seatstays were used only on low-end models, plain gauge carbon-steel (8 lbs+) frames and perhaps truwell tubing, never on a 531 main tubes bike (usa : super course ; uk: carlton catalina). The Nervex Legere lugs were not used on any models in the USA after 1965. I think the Legeres might have been used on the Carlton Catalina (which also used capella and bocama feature-cut lugs) or "Raleigh Carlton" (as they were called in the USA). Here you can just barely see the traces of the front of the Nervex Legere lugs on a 1967-68 "Raleigh Carlton" model sold in the USA :

http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/catalogs/Retro-Raleighs/67-Catalog.pdf

No other 1960's or 1970's Carlton Lug had this configuration (nervex pro, prugnat longpoints/p1 latin line, prugnat 62s, bocama competition, bocama feature-cut, carlton capella, haden sovereign, etc.)

If you could give us the serial number from the bottom bracket (letter(s) + numbers) or rear dropout (numbers only) that might pinpoint the year.

The Raleigh 80th Anniversary Badge was used in 1968 only. It was not used in any other year, because no other year was the 80th anniversary of Raleigh. My 1968 competition came with an anniversary badge.
Hi,
My apologies as I've only just noticed your response to my post.
Since my last post I have ascertained that it is indeed a Rapide, and yes you are correct gas pipe is the tub in of choice, your post is very informative and helpful and it's great to know the year, I always guessed at 66 but 68 is good to know.
Thank you, hopefully you'll see this a bit quicker than I did.

OP
OP
ChopperGav

ChopperGav

Über Member
Have you had a look at the back of the brake calipers for a date stamp, assuming they are the original equipment.
I have never noticed a date stamp but that's not saying it's not there, I'll take a look later. I always assumed they were the originals being Wiennmann but who knows.
Thanks.

OP
OP
ChopperGav

ChopperGav

Über Member
Skills? Probably as someone who tarmacs roads but painting wasn't their thing.
You raised my curiosity so I've been out in the garage to take a look, I've never noticed a date like it before but I'm assuming it's correct, it says 750 on top with 63 underneath, both calipers are the same.
I thought it was a 66 (more guesswork than skill) only to be told that the headbadge was a one year only a 68 and now calipers show a possible 1963, so at least it's safe to say sixties.

Skills? Probably as someone who tarmacs roads but painting wasn't their thing.
You raised my curiosity so I've been out in the garage to take a look, I've never noticed a date like it before but I'm assuming it's correct, it says 750 on top with 63 underneath, both calipers are the same.
I thought it was a 66 (more guesswork than skill) only to be told that the headbadge was a one year only a 68 and now calipers show a possible 1963, so at least it's safe to say sixties.
I will go and double check on mine.

I'm back. Been out in my garage shuffled the bikes around and removed a rear caliper, Weinmann centre pull. If you look at the back on the right hand side there should be a circle of numbers and inside should be the date stamp. Mine was 77 and the frame is 78.

OP
OP
ChopperGav

ChopperGav

Über Member
I'm back. Been out in my garage shuffled the bikes around and removed a rear caliper, Weinmann centre pull. If you look at the back on the right hand side there should be a circle of numbers and inside should be the date stamp. Mine was 77 and the frame is 78.
The 750 63 marking is in the exact same place as you describe but with no circle around them, I'll try to get a photo later on, the 750 I would think refers to the Vainqueur range of centre pulls.
Who knew old bikes could be so intriguing.

Top Bottom