help which model is this eddy merckx

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gjores

hi
just bought this bike today,unable to find model no or type
it is fitted with campagnolo groupset,fiamme handle bars and stem

any ideas

thanks gary

Attachments

• DSC_0098.JPG
    DSC_0098.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 103

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Perhaps you could post a few more pics. The Campag groupset would indicate a quality machine but the top tube cable clips and band on shifter say no. Does it have a tubing sticker?

midlife

Guru
More pics would help :biggrin: is there any little "EM" letters panto'd into the seat caps, fork crown or above the rear brake?

If it wasn't for the cutout lugs it would remind me of a Falcon San Remo Equipe from the 70's

Shaun

OP
OP
G

gjores

Perhaps you could post a few more pics. The Campag groupset would indicate a quality machine but the top tube cable clips and band on shifter say no. Does it have a tubing sticker?
hi
its a strange mix,it has campag top and bottom set and the tube clips on the crossbar are also campag
no signs of serial nos!

gary

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
The tops of the forks should be stamped with the EM logo, as should the top of the seat stays if it is a better example. Iirc a lot were made for the mass market under licence by companys like Falcon. There should be a frame number on the BB shell have a look at this http://www.cadre.org/Merckx/ which may give you some clues

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Band on gear levers and cable clips were once the norm. Merckx himself used them as did all from that era.
Yes it's true, I forgot that. I think maybe from the early/mid seventies they became less prevalent as braze ons became the norm. I was thinking the bike was somewhat later than that. I found this, which was the bike Eddy broke the 1hr cycling record on in 1972. Colour scheme looks very similar to the OPs but not the lugs.
image.jpg

Maybe made to commemorate the event. I have read that the very early ones had no numbers stamped on the BB so maybe it is an early one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gjores

Yes it's true, I forgot that. I think maybe from the early/mid seventies they became less prevalent as braze ons became the norm. I was thinking the bike was somewhat later than that. I found this, which was the bike Eddy broke the 1hr cycling record on in 1972. Colour scheme looks very similar to the OPs but not the lugs. View attachment 52509

Maybe made to commemorate the event.
hi
I am enclosing more photos,wondering whether its worth refurbishing

Attachments

• DSC_0101.JPG
    DSC_0101.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0105.JPG
    DSC_0105.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0106.JPG
    DSC_0106.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0107.JPG
    DSC_0107.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0108.JPG
    DSC_0108.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0109.JPG
    DSC_0109.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0110.JPG
    DSC_0110.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0111.JPG
    DSC_0111.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0112.JPG
    DSC_0112.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0113.JPG
    DSC_0113.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 46

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes it's true, I forgot that. I think maybe from the early/mid seventies they became less prevalent as braze ons became the norm. I was thinking the bike was somewhat later than that. I found this, which was the bike Eddy broke the 1hr cycling record on in 1972. Colour scheme looks very similar to the OPs but not the lugs. View attachment 52509

Maybe made to commemorate the event. I have read that the very early ones had no numbers stamped on the BB so maybe it is an early one.
Nice picture.

That looks so minimalist, it must flex like crazy compared to a modern CF bike.

midlife

Guru
Such an interesing bike :biggrin: Looks typical of the early / mid 70's with lack of braze ons, over BB cable guides, nuted brakes, cutout lugs on the top and not the sides, Cinelli MC fork crown, tangs on the inside of the fork...........I'm just not convinced it's a Mercx. He had no control over his image and most bikes had a naff picture of him on the head tube and the seat tube, plus they put world champion and Giro Di'Italia bands (pink) on the seat tube.

Brake drop is wrong for that era for a road frame, they were shallow for Campag (Piccolo) or similar.

The Chainset might be worth more than he bike LOL

Shaun

OP
OP
G

gjores

Such an interesing bike :biggrin: Looks typical of the early / mid 70's with lack of braze ons, over BB cable guides, nuted brakes, cutout lugs on the top and not the sides, Cinelli MC fork crown, tangs on the inside of the fork...........I'm just not convinced it's a Mercx. He had no control over his image and most bikes had a naff picture of him on the head tube and the seat tube, plus they put world champion and Giro Di'Italia bands (pink) on the seat tube.

Brake drop is wrong for that era for a road frame, they were shallow for Campag (Piccolo) or similar.

The Chainset might be worth more than he bike LOL

Shaun
hi

thats the problem ,all the bits are probably worth 150 euros plus ,but if the bike is of interest I would rather keep it whole
gary

Cycleops

Legendary Member
hi
I am enclosing more photos,wondering whether its worth refurbishing

What do you mean by refurbish? If it's a case of stripping, cleaning and regreasing, yes, but if you want to respray it, don't. It will spoil the whole essence of the bike. Even the chainwheels and cassetteshow little signs of wear so I wouldn't have thought you don't need to replace much, maybe just the cables. Nice bike, keep it and ride it.
Remember what the great man himself said: "Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades!"

midlife

Guru
It doesn't look like a De Rosa, Colnago or a Kessels frame built with his name on. Falcon Competition 100-104 were very similar but lugs were different and chrome in different places. Falcon would have had a long number under the BB.
3 arm Campag Gran Sport chainset / retrofriction downshifters from Simplex and rear mech puts it in the 70's..............any other decals or markings on the frame?

Shaun

OP
OP
G

gjores

It doesn't look like a De Rosa, Colnago or a Kessels frame built with his name on. Falcon Competition 100-104 were very similar but lugs were different and chrome in different places. Falcon would have had a long number under the BB.
3 arm Campag Gran Sport chainset / retrofriction downshifters from Simplex and rear mech puts it in the 70's..............any other decals or markings on the frame?

Shaun
hi
had a good look over the frame,found a O or a 0 on the underside of the frame near the crank and they have scraped off the decal for the renold tubing
Its a strange mix,will clean up and derust.
Whats best way of removing rust?

thanks Gary

Top Bottom