Help with carlton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loopybike

Veteran
Hi,
I have a Carlton International, I think from around 1972. I've had problems with the crank cotter pins. Can anyone advise me on updating to a bb and crank that uses the square post fixing ( excuse my lack of the correct terminology) but will keep the vintage look.

Thanks in advance

midlife

Guru
Nice bike :smile:. What problems have you had with the cotter pins?

Way back in those days I worked in a bike shop and if you made the same request then we would have given you a Sugino Maxy complete with red dust caps :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Too much wear in the cranks, so I bought some new pins hoping that would solve the problem. Turns out the new pins were made from high tensile chocolate and stripped the threads once I got to work :sad:
I had no way of getting home so I ( please don't judge me......) welded the cranks to the bb!
I obviously need to replace the bb and cranks, but want to keep it looking old.

midlife

Guru
Sounds like a new Williams steel crankset and axle is in order :smile:. The international iirc is white with coloured panels on the tubes which looks a million dollars :smile:

TA and Stronglight are another option but cost a lot more.

Any pics

Shaun

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice bike :smile:. What problems have you had with the cotter pins?

Way back in those days I worked in a bike shop and if you made the same request then we would have given you a Sugino Maxy complete with red dust caps :smile:

Shaun
if any one has any of those red caps please get in touch with me i have 1 missing

OP
OP
loopybike

loopybike

Veteran
Thanks for the replies, most of the chainsets I've looked at are for 10 speed bikes. Mine a five, so I only want one gear ring ( again apologies for lack of correct terminology! ). If a chainset is described for a fixie, will it work on a five speed ( not sure if the change in angle of the chain would cause problems)

Oh and here is the bike

1439191261560-942433607.jpg

My father in law bought it as a spares bike for one he was restoring. I wanted a bike to do a Triathlon on, so I fixed it up. That was four years ago, his bike is finished ( and beautiful!) so I kept this one. :smile:

Top Bottom