Help with cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jujubeebikes

Hello! I inherited a mountain bike from my dad which has cleat pedals (see pic, I believe they are Shimano), which I am very excited about! But I don’t know what cleats I need… I bought some shoes (see pic), could someone help me with the type of cleats I need for my shoes and my pedals? Thanks :smile:

PHOTO-2024-04-29-12-37-28.jpeg

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
2 bolt SPD type needed.

Either normal or multi direction release depending on your preference

https://www.google.com/search?q=2+b...Mzg5MGowajE1qAIIsAIB&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

figbat

Slippery scientist
Thank you!! And are those recessed? Sorry for my ignorance

Recessed refers to the shoe design - the cleats are recessed into the soles, making walking much easier (some shoe have a flat sole with the cleat bolt on, making walking tricky); your shoes are recessed. The SPD cleats are universal - any SPD shoe will take any SPD cleat.

Take time to get the fitment right - you can put the SPD cleat in a variety of position on the shoe depending on how you ride, the bike, your own comfort etc. Having the cleats in the wrong place can cause knee and other issues. I did it by trial and error and now I have a setup that works I just copy it from shoe-to-shoe.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You can also swap those pedals for some that don’t require cleats.

I promise the world will still keep turning though I suspect some here might go into shock at the mere suggestion.

I need to go for a lie down. :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'd give the pedals a damn good spray with GT85 or WD40, they look rusted to shoot.

How is the rest of the bike?

OP
OP
jujubeebikes

jujubeebikes

Thanks all! Really useful and I no longer feel lost in the mix of the world of cleats! I can’t seem to see that there are multidirectional release for the 2 bolt SPD type, am I missing something?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks all! Really useful and I no longer feel lost in the mix of the world of cleats! I can’t seem to see that there are multidirectional release for the 2 bolt SPD type, am I missing something?

Multi direction spd cleats are SH56 where as normal sideways motion cleats are SH51

Alex321

Veteran

They are pretty easy to release (unless you adjust them too tight). Just twist your foot outwards. And if you fall off, they normally release as you do.

figbat

Slippery scientist
There are two types of SPD cleat: SH-51 and SH-56. SH-51 are black and are ‘single release’, meaning that to unclip them you have to twist your heel outwards from the bike. SH-56 cleats are silver and are multi-release, meaning you can turn your foot either way and also just pull up to release.

I use 51s and after the first few rides to acclimatise have never had a problem (that’s since 2007). The 56s offer a bit more confidence at the cost of security - it is easier to unclip accidentally.

Top Bottom