Help with complaint letter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plainlazy

Über Member
Had a very frightening close pass by a lorry on my communte on Friday and feel the need to complain about this.
Could you guys check the letter below and any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.

Dear Sir/madam
I am writing to you to complain about the deliberate disregard for my safety and the Highway Code Rule 163:, by One of your delivery drivers while cycling home from work on the B2177 Southwick to Wickham Road, on Friday the 7th May 2010 at around 15:40.
The incident happened right outside the entrance into Mud island nursery, where One of your delivery lorries overtook me unacceptably closely (around 10in). As the road had a slight bend in it I was very nearly clipped by its rear wheels and I am sure I do not need to point out the consequences of what would have happen had I gone under them !
This part of the road is a 30mph zone and at the time the road was busy in both directions.
Your driver drove in a way that endangered my life and I feel that he was aware of his actions at the time, if he was unaware then I seriously question his ability to drive such a vehicle and that he present a risk to other road users.
I hope that you look into this incident, as it was a very frightening experience for me.

The lorry involved came from the Southampton branch of a national distribution company but unfortunately i did not get a reg number.
Do i send the letter to the Southampton branch and CC the head office ( i have the directors name )

This was the second serious incident of this weeks commute and i am seriously considering stopping my commute by bike, as i have a young family and the risk is just getting too much. :biggrin:
Just ordered a spy camera, which i so wish i had this week !

classic33

Leg End Member
Drop the highway code part.

What was the company name? Let me know, personal message & I'll see if I have the company contact information required.

OP
OP
plainlazy

plainlazy

Über Member
Thanks classic33

I'll drop that bit then. I have the contact details, just did not want to put their name on here at the moment.
Thanks

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
classic33 said:
Drop the highway code part.

What was the company name? Let me know, personal message & I'll see if I have the company contact information required.

No dont drop it, its relevant to proving safe passing distances.

I would also change:

Your driver drove in a way that endangered my life

to:

I feel that your driver failed in his or her obligation to remain safe around other road users, and as such I had to take evasive action.

On the whole it's a good letter - free of the rotund, rhetorical, redundant flourishes that people feel they need to indulge in when writing this sort of letter.

I'd break up the first sentence, it sounds like the delivery driver was cycling home. I'd also break up the second sentence, so that it reads more easily. Is there any reason why you are capitalising "One"? Can you say how much time he had to see you?

I would also say something like "...and had I gone under the wheels I would have been killed."

Did you get a look at the driver? Description? Did he have anyone in the cab with him?

Try and send it to the distribution manager, cc'ed to the MD, if possible. Well done.

PK99

Legendary Member
plainlazy said:
Had a very frightening close pass by a lorry on my communte on Friday and feel the need to complain about this.
Could you guys check the letter below and any advice or suggestion would be appreciated.

Dear Sir/madam
I am writing to you to complain about the deliberate disregard for my safety and the Highway Code Rule 163:, by One of your delivery drivers while cycling home from work on the B2177 Southwick to Wickham Road, on Friday the 7th May 2010 at around 15:40.
The incident happened right outside the entrance into Mud island nursery, where One of your delivery lorries overtook me unacceptably closely (around 10in). As the road had a slight bend in it I was very nearly clipped by its rear wheels and I am sure I do not need to point out the consequences of what would have happen had I gone under them !
This part of the road is a 30mph zone and at the time the road was busy in both directions.
Your driver drove in a way that endangered my life and I feel that he was aware of his actions at the time, if he was unaware then I seriously question his ability to drive such a vehicle and that he present a risk to other road users.
I hope that you look into this incident, as it was a very frightening experience for me.

The lorry involved came from the Southampton branch of a national distribution company but unfortunately i did not get a reg number.
Do i send the letter to the Southampton branch and CC the head office ( i have the directors name )

This was the second serious incident of this weeks commute and i am seriously considering stopping my commute by bike, as i have a young family and the risk is just getting too much. ;)
Just ordered a spy camera, which i so wish i had this week !

Too ranting & in yer face: as now structured defensive hackles will rise immediately.

Start with a simple factual description of what, where and when and as much information as possible to identify the vehicle.

Then state why you felt in danger and what you think the driver did wrong

Send letter to the Transport manager (find out his name and location and address it personally)

CC letter to:
MD of the company
Local police (find out who should deal and send it direct)

OP
OP
plainlazy

plainlazy

Über Member
Being dyslexic i find it very frustrating trying to express myself in words.
Thanks for all your help and advice, i have taken it on board and will revamp a new letter.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Also please fill out a stop smidsy form for the incident as it helps with logging safety in the UK:

http://www.stop-smidsy.org.uk/

Top Bottom