Help with Gear changing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

Ok so been out on the new mongoose 3 times this week, once in conditions it couldn't cope with and chain came off. I am having problems with the left hand gears ie. big cog (sorry about the lack of technical terms) Chain is not moving smoothly and I am having to push the gear lever hard round which apart from anything else isn't very easy. I am doing something wrong, is there a simple solution or do I have the hassle of taking the bike back at the weekend. It's bad enough that I'm so unfit without this hampering my speed when I get going!

LLB

Stick it on the small chain ring and stick to it if you aren't feeling that fit (by the pedals) and change gear with the right hand side. Being a new bike, I doubt it is seized.

peanut

sounds like the adjustable stop screws on your front mech (the bit that moves your chain from small chainring to big chainring) needs adjusting.
If you don't allow enough movement you will have to force the mech to move the chain against the stop screw if you screw the stop screw out too much you run the risk of the chain moving too far over and coming off the chainrings .
I would suggest you turn your bike upside down in the kitchen on some towels or blanket Try adjusting the relevant stop screw on the front mech a little bit at a time ie 1/4 turn out or in.

Then operate the gears whilst turning the cranks and try the front mech out .

OP
OP
W

Willow

I turned a couple of screws but got no where so yep back to the shop in the morning, the gear position for the left hand side also causes me problem - feels like I'm going to get thumb strain so going to ask if they can be re=positioned too!xx(

OP
OP
W

Willow

Phoned shop yesterday and arranged to take it first thing this morning and they would sort there and then. On arrival they said it would have to be booked in and I could come back later - not convenient as it is 30 minute drive and I had left the boys at home on their own. They then said could I wait 2o mins which I reluctantly agreed to do. Anyway in the end they sorted it pretty much straight away. The wires needed tightening which I had suspected but I didn't know how simple it was to do - now I do, suprised I never had to do it on the old bike really. Also got myself computer whilst there which I have proudly fitted by myself this afternoon - next time round I'll do it quicker though! DS2 wanted flash lights like mind so got him those DS1 preferred to have the cash for his money box (have put the lights away for christmas) so that was another £50. Fairly good business to be in I would think if you offer right service particularly round these parts - at weekends cyclists are everywhere - surrey downs.

Top Bottom