Help with gel tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
I just received some balck gel tape. Not sure whether I`m gonna fit it to my straight bars or my new bar ends yet till I decide on whats best for my hand position.
Anyway! in the box was two rolls of the tape, two new end stops, 2x 1 1/4" x 3 1/2" black gel like tape (thicker in the middle than the edges with a thin pull off 1/4" down the centre that exposes a self adhesive strip and 2 x 6" x 3/4" shiny thin plastic strips self adhesive on a backing paper.

Where to start? I could probably just plough through the job but looking at the bits and pieces there must be a technique to it.

Thanks

Dave

gavintc

Guru
It has taken me a bit of time to get the taping of bars reasonably successful. The first things is to note the direction of turn from the current tape before you remove it. The second is to leave sufficient hanging off the end of the bar end to help secure the bar end plug and my my final tip is to buy some electrical tape as the stuff that comes with the bar tape is never enough to do a decent job.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
gavintc said:
It has taken me a bit of time to get the taping of bars reasonably successful. The first things is to note the direction of turn from the current tape before you remove it. The second is to leave sufficient hanging off the end of the bar end to help secure the bar end plug and my my final tip is to buy some electrical tape as the stuff that comes with the bar tape is never enough to do a decent job.

There isn`t any tape on the bars or the bar ends yet, I`m trying to give myself a bit more cushioning so I`m starting from scratch. There were no instructions with the tape. I do have black electrical tape.

where i purchased the tape and the bar ends did offer to do the bar ends before posting them but I`m not sure if I`m gonna use the ends, keep the bars or fit and extender. I could probably muddle through but there must be a technique to doing it. I`ve even seen someone finish the run with thin wire. Knowing me, I`ll probably end up getting out the clear silicon gun:laugh::thumbsup:

gavintc

Guru
I used an online guide the first time I did it. I cannot remember which one, possibly Sheldon Brown or Parks Tool site. It certainly gave me all the essential tips I needed. For the wrap, the tape goes outward and forward on each revolution. Keep it tight, but not overly stretched and uncover the sticky bit as you need the next turn. You also need to cut a little piece off to go under the STIs - but the online guide will give you more details.

02GF74

Über Member
good luck - in my experience putting tape onto road bars so it is neat and goes nicely round the hood is an effing nightmare, allow a couple of hours and lots of swearing.

once you have done it and need to remove it, draw a line in chalk along the full length so you can wind it back on as it was, even taking a few photos just in case. again aloow lots of time and some swearing.

Top Bottom