Help With Handlebars (Bar Ends?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

day26

Hi everyone!

I'm starting to cycle again for probably the first time in 30 years.

I'm doing this purely for fitess reasons and am very, very slow. (Nearly got passed by a 3 year old with stabalizers earlier this week ;)).

I've bought a cheap bike (a Raleigh Mission 26Inch Dual Suspension Mountain Bike) and am really enjoying the few rides I've done so far.

So, on to my question. This bicycle has twist grip gears with the ends of the grip seeming to be made of rubber with a small hole in the middle (which when I was 6 would have stuck a sparkly streamer into).

I'm finding that on rougher terrain I'm getting pins and needles in my hand indicating an incorrect hand position. I've tried changing this but the thicker "gear change" bit of the grip limits the amount of room I can hold on to (and I have quite big hands).

Is it possible to fit bar ends (such as the ones shown here: http://www.raleigh.co.uk/PRODUCTTYPE/ProductRange/Default.aspx?pc=2&pt=97&pr=98) onto a bike of this type? If so, what sort of work would I need to do (I've seen some sites suggesting I need to cut the grips).

I'm pretty handy with a hammer but not sure I can manage the intricacies of anything too complicated!

Forgive me if I haven't explained this too well!

Many thanks to anyone who can offer advice.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Try some padded gloves first

compo

Veteran
+1 for Numbnuts. Failing that, slice off the end of the grip. Then slacken everything on the bar and move them inboard an inch. This will expose sufficient handlebar to allow you to fit the bar ends without reducing your grip space. I would also look at your position on the bike with regards to saddle and handlebar settings.

OP
OP
day26

day26

Thanks to numbnuts and compo for their really quick response!

I'm going to try the glove route first (an excellent idea). I'm still sounding out where my local retailers are and will try to do the rounds this weekend!

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Ive got the same MTB from Argos, and I've fitted barends on mine:

228672_2011716570898_6559341_n.jpg

Really was a piece of pie to fit them. Loosen the shifters and brakes from the bar with an allen key. The slice the very end of the current grip off with a Stanley, then loosen the grip with a flat knife and hairspray (yup). Move everything in by 1" or however wide the barends are. Attach bar end, push grip up against the new barend, push shifter and brake up and tighten.

But yeah, also try a good pair of gloves. Even the cheapies from Halford make all the difference.

I find bar ends a boon, particularly when climbing or when out of the saddle.

+1 to the first two responses, both of which make excellent sense.

It comes down to preference, but be careful not to tighten the bar ends in too steep a position. I've found that for off-road riding I like themm almost horizontal. I see riders who have them mounted almost vertically and seem to have to contort to use them.

For me, bar ends come close to replicating riding 'on the hoods' of a road bike.

After many unplanned dismounts, I have dodgy joints and I find bar ends a good way to lessen the discomfort that flat bars can bring.

I'd be inclined not to be seduced by pricier items on the shelf. I've fitted loads over the years and even cheapshit unbranded ones have been excellent.

Welcome back to cycling and I hope the various replies above bring you the answer. :smile:

OP
OP
day26

day26

Thank you everyone! What a splendid forum and such helpful members.

LosingFocus - interesting to see how you've added barends to your bike.

I'm going to try our some gloves this weekend to see if that solves the problem but will also be taking a closer look at how the handlebar hardware fits togethers (give me a computer to fix and I've got no problem but I'm so unfamiliar with how a modern bicycle works).

lukesdad

Ive got the same MTB from Argos, and I've fitted barends on mine:

228672_2011716570898_6559341_n.jpg

Really was a piece of pie to fit them. Loosen the shifters and brakes from the bar with an allen key. The slice the very end of the current grip off with a Stanley, then loosen the grip with a flat knife and hairspray (yup). Move everything in by 1" or however wide the barends are. Attach bar end, push grip up against the new barend, push shifter and brake up and tighten.

But yeah, also try a good pair of gloves. Even the cheapies from Halford make all the difference.

Bar ends ! They look more like cow horns :smile:

Top Bottom