Help with me handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bingbong

Hi .. I am a newbie so be gentle...
I have a Trek 7.1 bike, and am finding the bars a bit low, i was under the impression you cannot adjust them? Can anyone advise if i can get some form of extender for it or another solution ?
Thanks in advance Corrina

OP
OP
bingbong

bingbong

I have a Trek 7.1 bike, and am finding the bars a bit low, i was under the impression you cannot adjust them? Can anyone advise if i can get some form of extender for it or another solution ?

OP
OP
bingbong

bingbong

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Before messing about with the bars I'd get your saddle height and setback(how far forward/back it is on the rails) correct first. Once that's done then work forward, so reach and height of the bars. you have options here:-

a new stem of different length and angle, a high rise one can raise the bars quite a bit. If this isn't enough then you can use an extender for the steerer tube, basically bolts on to existing and provides extra tube to attach your stem to. You can also experiment with different handlebars, bigger rise, multi hand positions etc.

MacB

Before messing about with the bars I'd get your saddle height and setback(how far forward/back it is on the rails) correct first. Once that's done then work forward, so reach and height of the bars. you have options here:-

a new stem of different length and angle, a high rise one can raise the bars quite a bit. If this isn't enough then you can use an extender for the steerer tube, basically bolts on to existing and provides extra tube to attach your stem to. You can also experiment with different handlebars, bigger rise, multi hand positions etc.

MacB

rh100

MacB, on behalf of the OP (it's Mrs RH :evil: ), thanks for the reply. (She doesn't log in much).

the saddle is adjusted so that her legs are just slightly bent with the pedal at it's lowest, i'm fairly happy with that setup.

the frame is slightly on the small side - it's a 15" frame but it was a bargain second hand so we thought we'd see how she got on with it. The only problem is that she ends up leaning on the bars a bit, so they need raising to straighten her up. The angled stem is fixed, unlike my Trek 7100 which has a hinged stem for adjustment. Is it just that part that needs changing? And are they a standard fit onto the steerer tube?

thanks.

lazyfatgit

Most ahead stems are 1 1/8 inch. You can get a range of angles and lengths. Theres also adjustable ones too, although they are a bit heavier, and i find mine has a tendency to shake loose at the hinge now and again.

MacB

Ok, well this calculator I was pointed to gives a lot of help:-

http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx

key in the parameters of existing setup under red and new possibilities under blue, it will then show what difference each stem would make. The spacers bit is easy to work out, the stem angle does matter and you may need to look it up, for example, with a 73 deg head tube angle:-

existing - reach 100, angle 10, spacers 60
new - reach 130, angle 40, spacers 60

the change of stem will raise the bars by 64mm and bring them closer by 18mm. I used that as an example as 130 long and 40/5 deg rise are about as long as you can do stemwise. Whereas if you were just going for bringing them nearer then a 70mm 40 deg rise stem would only raise them by 13mm but would bring them in by 51mm. I've found it really useful to plug in various configurations on this site, sort of a try before you buy type thing:biggrin:

If the amount of steerer tube you have available isn't enough, combined with stems, to bring the bars high enough, then you can use one of these:-

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...Raiser-for-1-1-8-Inch-to-1-1-8-Inch-16189.htm

This effectively extends your steerer tube and gives you a lot more options. But personally I'd look at different bars before that, have a look in my albums to see pictures of alternate bar setups. I assume it's currently a flatbar setup so you need to make sure the bar diameters are 22.2mm to match the controls. You also need to make sure that the clamp area on the bars matches the stem clamp. Looking at the Trek 7.1 the bar clamp will be either 25.4mm or 31.8mm(aka oversize or the alleged new standard). The rise on the bars will be about 30mm compared to about 90mm you could get on some North Road style. I have experimented with butterflies, north roads and midge (wide, flared off road bars). No doubt I'll end up with several sets of bars going spare when I'm finished. right now I've got one set of these North Roads spare:-

http://www.theoldbicycleshowroom.co.uk/alloy-north-road-handlebars-422-p.asp

They are a 25.4mm bar clamp and accept MTB controls and grips on the sides. Only problem might be the height, existing cable runs may be too short and need sorting. Anyway if they would fit, and you'd like to try them then I can let you borrow them on sale or return. PM me your details, if interested, I'll send them and it'll be £15 if you want to keep them, or you send them back....can't say fairer than that. I also have one adjustable stem, 120mm, up to plus 30 degrees going, the Ritchey one, say £15 again, looks like the link below but definitely the 25.4mm clamp and 1 1/8 steerer.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39260

rh100

Thanks MacB

Ok - I'll have to try and measure up the stem that is fitted. That site looks useful - is 73 degree a fairly standard angle for the head tube?

I think the route to go down is an adjustable stem, hopefully with enough play to change it as we go along.

So I will check the sizes on the bike, and if that stem you have for sale seems suitable, I may take you up on the offer if it's still available.

Thanks,

rh100

lazyfatgit said:
Most ahead stems are 1 1/8 inch. You can get a range of angles and lengths. Theres also adjustable ones too, although they are a bit heavier, and i find mine has a tendency to shake loose at the hinge now and again.

Thanks for the info LFG

MacB

RH, head tube angle will matter but not a huge amount, if you assume 72 degrees you won't be far out. The steerer is definitely 1 1/8" it's only the bar clamp size on your existing stem and bars I don't know. But it will definitely be either 25.4mm or 31.8mm. If I were to send you the adjustable stem and North Road bars they definitely fit together and would definitely fit your steerer tube.

The main thing to watch for is that the cables will reach ok to the new bar position. .they can be a bit mean and cut cables to only accomodate the limited range that the bike comes with.

rh100

not sure about the bars though - would change the look of the thing maybe? will have a think

will try to measure it up this weekend (busy decorating ;) )

MacB

rh100 said:
not sure about the bars though - would change the look of the thing maybe? will have a think

will try to measure it up this weekend (busy decorating ;) )

Very true and the NorthRoads may well be too swept back, though she might be surprised. But the riser part holds true, you can get MTB/Hybrid bars from dead straight to straight back at you at 90 degrees and at many levels of rise(the height difference from stem/bar clamp to hand grips). Having tried all sorts I'd say that the absolute worst are the totally straight ones. Some level of sweep back makes a big comfort difference, rise also allows you to flip them if you want a lower position.

I'll stop banging on now, think I've done enough here:biggrin:

Top Bottom