Help with mirror please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Has anyone mentioned the cateye mirror ? Not particularly robust, but if you are careful where you lean the bike, it will survive small knocks

potsy

Rambler
Right have narrowed it down to the bike eye that norm suggested or the sprintech one here-
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/src/froogle/product-Sprintech-Sprintech-Road-Mirrors--Black-18601.htm
View attachment 5949
That's if I'm not happy with my original one that I'm trying again tomorrow.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Yellow7 said:
These are what you need, I have them on my tourer that has butterfly / eurobars, fixes on with a velcro strap so quick n easy to remove if required, (not shown in the wiggle picture)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Blackburn_ATB~Hybrid_Mirror/5300006164/
Mark.

I had one of them and it was total cr*p

One of the most vibratey mirrors I've experienced, Nothing to do with the velcro bit, it was the the ball connector under the rubber bush, I couldn't tighten the screw up enough to stop it vibrating even on a nice brand new near billiard table mile strip of tarmac. I even braced it with a couple of metal bars and some self tappers and it still wobbled.

The best cycle mirrors for me are the Mirrycle which I have used on all sorts, an can be adapted to fit most bikes. It can also be folded out of the way.You can also fit the mirror to the end of the upright if you want, leaving the arm out and lowering the profile.

b1284969-202d-488c-9dca-819c845f8a01.jpg

Alternatively the b&M Cyclestar is equally adaptable and comes with a range of "necks" that allows them to be fitted on to either bar ends, or the bars themselves.

200913091429_mirror.jpg

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I mentioned it, before, but no one else has taken it seriously. http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-Cycling-Eyeglass-Mirror/dp/B001VTQNVO

I mount this to the visor on my helmet, but you can also mount it to glasses. This mirror has been manufactured since the 1960s with no changes. No vibration, and has the advantage that, by turning your head slightly, you can "sweep" behind you. It's one of those things that "may take some getting used to, but once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it". After long rides, I've even found myself looking for the mirror while WALKING down the street! I've heard others say the same thing. It's on my helmet, so I never have to worry about it getting broken off of the bike. Blackburn also makes one, which attaches to a helmet with double-sided tape.

I know the reasoning for looking behind, but, are you going to do this constantly? If you do it all the time, then why would a motorist think you're going to make a maneouvre? You've already looked back 5 times without doing anything. I only look back if I'm really going to make a maneouvre. Plus, my long pleasure-rides are done on a recumbent. One CAN'T turn around on a recumbent.

At least consider a helmet mirror. They are cheap enough, that if you find you really don't like it, you're not out much money. I'm willing to bet that you'll never go back to a bike-mounted mirror.

PpPete

Legendary Member
These are good enough for me. Lot cheaper than the sprintech version. Despite what SJS say about them, I've found them pretty indestructible.
Not a huge FOV, but easily adjusted for angle.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've got a pair of the Wildoo/Sprintech mirrors on my regular commuting bike.

They're a bit small, but a lot better than nothing. Having one on each side helps make up for the smallness.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Headgardener said:
Looking at it PP I would think that if it does get knocked the ball joint will pop apart. Methinks I might get one of these.

Edit. Bought.

Most "knocks" seem just to push it out of position. Needs a firm push beyond the limits of motion to get the ball joint to pop apart. But at £3.99 it's no great disaster if you lose one.

Top Bottom