Help with mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Going to the LBS tomorrow to see about mudguards. I've never used them but got fed up with the bike shop I got my bike from so time for a change.

I have a Whyte Suffolk and Whyte full mudguards specifically for that bike. They are supposed to take 32cc, but I put on Marathon Plus 32cc and they were too big for the mudguards. At the moment I have no mudguards which is no good for commuting.

So, going to ask the LBS to do one of two things:

1. Fit new mudguards that are big enough for the 32cc Marathon Plus tyres.

2. Fit new tyres that are small enough (28cc) for the Whyte mudguards.

I quite like the comfort factor of the 32s, but I like the full Whyte mudguards also. I am not sure what to do at all.

I am also worried the LBS will suggest whichever option makes them most money. I don't know how I will know if they are being honest as I've never used them.

Any advice?

vickster

Legendary Member
Go for good 28mm tyres, plenty fat enough and comfortable enough for commuting (I have 28mm M+ on my Whyte). Or look at different less chunky 32mm tyres?

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Maybe I could just buy new tyres online and figure out how to fit the mudguards myself.

I tried to put the mudguards back on with the original 28s and could adjust them properly - I'm not the most practically gifted!

ScotiaLass

Guru
If you're going to GW Smith, they are great!
I bought my bike from them and have used them for quite some time - they won't suggested the most expensive option, they'll give you what you need!

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Although I do like the Marathon + 32s, and they set me back £50 or so, so maybe a new mudguard option is the way forward.

Bugger it, I'll just drive!

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Is there parking? Was going to use the one in Denny as that is where I stay, but your recommendation is persuading me to go further afield.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Is there parking? Was going to use the one in Denny as that is where I stay, but your recommendation is persuading me to go further afield.
There's on street parking at the bottom of the high street, a car park at the B&M store very close by, or carparks at Lidl or opposite the Clahdan Hotel, just around the corner. There's also a multi-storey very close by as well!
I'd check but I don't think they open until 10am....think they have a webpage.

http://www.gwsmith.co.uk/index.php?id=home&PHPSESSID=438d1addb29b374edb7d69802d981701

Top Bottom