Help with my Christmas List

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's that time of year when well-meaning relatives want to know what to get me for Christmas. As I really don't want too much in the world I thought it may be a good chance to get something useful for my bike.

I have not been cycling very long and am not really clued up on gear and accessories that are out there. I have only really been cycling this winter (chickened out of cycing in the cold and dark last year) and I am currently running on some lights that were free with a kids bike at Halfords (so you can see they are not cutting edge)

Firstly are there any popular (easy for my mum to find in a shop) lights that you would recommend and secondly what else do I need that I may not have thought of.

If it helps I am a 48 year old male with a road/racing bike that I sometimes commute on but mostly just go out for leisure rides on the road. I managed a 100 mile ride this year and hope to do London to Paris next spring. I basically have the bike and a catseye computer on it, a pump and a repair kit. I have got a fair bit of cycling clothing.
I have no idea where to start on lights and as I mostly cycle alone I am a bit out of touch with what else would make it all even better.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well..point them to a bike web site..or a Decathlon ?

A good long sleeve top, a good pump, a multi tool (not nothing too expensive) some cycling socks (very useful).

TBH a couple of years back, I said...just some cash please..... got enough together to get my Spesh BG Pro Carbons (£140 pair of shoes - got for £120 in the sales...me chuffed..... I did show all the relatives my shoes once I had got them...... 'how much'....well that's why I said cash....TBH they were pleased it went to something I wanted..

Ask for cash for bike stuff....it all adds up in the end !

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
For front lights you can hardly beat the ones Tesco sell, the ones which have the 3W Cree LED, they are 10 pounds for the AA version. You will need to bodge up some mount for the lights, but if all else fails some rubber bands would work. Rear ones I use Smart Superflash 1/2 watt lights, very bright. Use both with rechargeables and you won't go wrong. I can say this as I have spent a fortune on other lights.
I would also recommend a track pump, that way you can keep your tyres well pumped up.

Top Bottom