Help with Rear wheels!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peanut_77

Hi,
I’ve starting using my indoor trainer that I purchased recently however I’m looking at getting a cheap rear wheel as I’m not sure I can be bothered changing tyres every week on my outdoor ride. The issue I have is I have a giant defy 0 11 speed however would any 700c QR wheel do or do I have to specifically get an 11 speed one.

Many Thanks

Peanut

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes you need an 11 speed wheel , the really cheap stuff is usually only 10 speed compatible .

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You'll need an 11 speed cassette on the wheel, so yes, you'll need an 11 speed wheel, ideally it will have the same hub as your existing wheel so that the cassette is in the same position or you may possibly have minor indexing problems.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I found that the turbo really ate normal tyre rubber and left little bits of rubber on the floor, if your going to use it a lot i think ti pays to get a specific turbo tyre thats harder and a wheel saves faffing changing tyres all the time .

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
P

Peanut_77

I’ve looked at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/700C-ROAD...EL-/122586139873?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275
This should work with my trainer tyre.

Thoughts please

Peanut

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why do you need to do this? Can't you just change the tyre IF it wears out?
I've been told that going straight forwards all the time on a nearly perfect smooth surface leads the tyre to wear more centrally than it would on the road, so using an extensively-trainered tyre on the road can be an unpleasant experience with either odd handling due to squaring off or excessive punctures due to the centre tread wearing out soonest.

Top Bottom