Help with Recognition of Carlton Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David.T

Can anyone help me with the year that this frame would have been made ?

The numbers on the attached photos are not very clear but look to be: 331647 - The bottom bracket also carries some numbers which can be seen in the photos.

Also, the name of the type of lugs used, and the name/type of the fork crown...?

When might Carlton have started using these items ?

There aren´t any clues on the paintwork but can any of you recognise or guess as to which model it might be ?

Hope the attached photos might help, and I´d be grateful for any help provided.

David.T

OOPS!!!! I´m a newbie here, and can´t see how to attach photos to my thread/posts....Please help/advise me.

Shaun

Founder
OOPS!!!! I´m a newbie here, and can´t see how to attach photos to my thread/posts....Please help/advise me.

Hello David - to upload your frame picture click on the Upload a File button (bottom right of the text entry window) and select the files from your computer / laptop that you want to attach.

If you want to post them at full size, just place your cursor in the editing window and click the 'Full Image' button next to the image. If you'd prefer to show a thumbnail (so people can click to view the images full size) - just hit the 'Thumbnail' button.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Hello again, David.
You need to have made a certain number of posts before you're allowed various privileges such as posting photos, to discourage anyone who just wants to sell stuff and not contribute positively: not sure just how many, but it's only about 5, I think.

PS I noticed @Shaun has responded with instructions while I was typing this - has he also waived the 5 posts (or whatever) requirement for you? If not, just post a few more times - doesn't have to be deep and meaningful, just get your count up to the required level (but cut out the drivel after that, OK? ^_^).

Shaun

Founder
I've removed the restriction altogether; it's initial purpose of stopping spam product images is now negated by the 5-post review process. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
David.T

David.T

Carlton grey 1.jpg carlton grey 2.jpg carlton grey fork crown.jpg carlton grey profile.jpg
carlton head tube & lugs.jpg

Thanks, Shaun, you´ve made an old man very happy :sun:and thanks Poacher for your input.

Repeating my first post so that you´ll know what I´m on about (at my age, I must be forgiven for repeating myself, and needing to remind myself why I wanted to upload photos !) :wacko:

Can anyone help me with the year that this frame would have been made ?

The numbers on the attached photos are not very clear but look to be: 331647 - The bottom bracket also carries some numbers which can be seen in the photos.

Also, the name of the type of lugs used, and the name/type of the fork crown...?

When might Carlton have started using these items ?

There aren´t any clues on the paintwork but can any of you recognise or guess as to which model it might be ?

Hope the attached photos might help, and I´d be grateful for any help provided.

David.T

OP
OP
David.T

David.T

Hi Mike J.
Thanks for your reply, 68-72 that's good to know, I would be grateful for anything else you might find when you have time .

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hi Mike J.
Thanks for your reply, 68-72 that's good to know, I would be grateful for anything else you might find when you have time .

http://veterancycleclublibrary.org....on=search&searchtext=Carlton&tpage=2&items=16

Problem is that it could be one of a few models, but it says that the choice of paintwork could be chosen, so it wasn't fixed.

Also, the Spanish flag on it wasn't lost on me and I wonder if it had been repainted at some point, given the country it is in??

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
What is that on the bottom bracket?

D(?) 628 (?)24?

A clean up might help in revealing these numbers better.

OP
OP
David.T

David.T

Hi,sorry for the delay in my reply, couldn't work out how to post it!!! Doug, Thanks for your input , I think the paint job is original but very tatty, and the Spanish connection is a red herring, as I bought it very cheaply on ebay recently, and at this time it is with my son In the U K.
I Will be returning home to England at the end of June (after nearly 11 years) and will try to clean up the BB to see if the numbers can be seen more clearly.
Hi biggs My intention is to try to repair the rear end of the bike which is badly bendy:rolleyes: and if successful strip it back to metal and re paint it as close to original as possible,and in doing so get some experience in renovating steel frames.

Hi, David-

The lugs appear to be Crespera style ones. The tubing may be Tru-Wel 205 high tensile made by TI or 531 in the main tubes. Look down the seat tube with a flashlight (torch?) and check for a seam. Seamed means high tensile and no seam means 531. Good luck with the restoration.

Jim

midlife

Guru
Lugs are definitely Crespera, the number on the rear dropout is before 1972 when they went all "Raleigh". Are the rear seat stays bent?

Corsa Strada or Continental ? Carlton's usually had their bikes beginning with a "C" LOL

Shaun

Shaun

Top Bottom