Help with Ribble spec - pretty please :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have
Do you mean the Aksiums? The other Mavics are all out of my budget. I'm sure I've heard they're bombproof, but heavy. (I've also had a look on Ribble, and they only give them as an option in the bike builder if you're having a Campag groupset, and I'm sticking with Shimano for my triple.)

I have Aksiums on my 'Good' road bike. I wouldn't say they are particularly bombproof (AFAIK they have just 20 spokes on each wheel). They are pretty light though and so far I am quite impressed by them. You can definitely get them with Shimano splined freehub (I am running SRAM Rival).

http://www.mavic.com/en/product/wheels/road-triathlon/wheels/Aksium

I'm sorry I can't recommend the Fulcrum's as I have no experience of them. I am sure the roads you have in Spain are no worse than many here in the UK. Wheels are stronger than you think I'm 191cm and 82kg and I haven't buckled a wheel since I was a teenager [a few years ago :whistle: ] , their weakness is if they take a knock from the side, this is particularly true of wheels with a very low spoke count. FWIW my advice is to spend as much as you can afford. If you are unsure Google any reviews you can find but I wouldn't be looking at any wheelset that weighs more than 1800g. It's a bit pointless sticking heavy wheels on a light frame.

e-rider

crappy member
Thanks, derrick, I've already been in touch with them by email about a few things, but I'm interested in getting opinions and thoughts from other cyclists here.

Did they actually reply to your email? If so, that's a first! You do realise that Ribble have a dark and dirty past when it comes to customer service?

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Did they actually reply to your email? If so, that's a first! You do realise that Ribble have a dark and dirty past when it comes to customer service?

Yes, first email, sent in the evening, was replied to the next morning. Second email, answering some questions they asked in the first reply, was replied to within the hour.

I like contacting companies by email (especially if people have reported bad experiences with them) because emails seem to be very easily ignored. Not in this case, though.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Actually, if you get Aksiums, you have a sneaky upgrade path that the OH won't notice.... Ksyriums next (be it Equipe, or SLR's etc) then the R-SYS - all look very similar - be pushed to tell the difference (unless you picked them up). :whistle:

Theo42

Lulubel,
What did you decide on it the end then? (if you've decided yet that is?? :blush:)
I'm quite interested in the Ribble Sportive 7046 too.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Lulubel,
What did you decide on it the end then? (if you've decided yet that is?? :blush:)
I'm quite interested in the Ribble Sportive 7046 too.

I didn't get a Ribble (not because I think they're bad but because I realised another alu road bike wasn't what I really wanted). I bought a steel cyclocross frame, and have (mostly) built up exactly the bike I want.

Top Bottom