Help with Ribble spec - pretty please :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

Thanks. I didn't understand everything you said, but what I'm getting from it is that 7046 will give a stiffer frame, but not necessarily a stronger one. Since I don't particularly need a stiffer frame, it isn't worth spending the extra money on it. I can spend it on wheels instead!

AFAIK, you need a bit of compliance in the frame to make the bike reasonably comfortable, loads of flexing is going to be a bad thing, as this will increase the stress on the welds and increase the risk that it will eventually crack. Unless you are a 25 stone super chubster, I don't think this is going to be an issue.

I have only ever done any riding on ally framed bikes (but did test ride a very nice £1400 carbon scott roadie a few moons ago). There are people much more qualified to give advice on the merits of Carbon, Ti, Ally and Steel frames on here.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm looking at the 7046 sportive myself Lulubel...what i have realised is, its hard to beat ribble on their wheel prices (on any of their bikebuilder prices actually)...so if you're thinking buy the cheap ones now and upgrade later, you may as well (if the bank balance allows it) buy the right wheels first time around, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
These two are at the top of the current crop, both light [for the price] and strong

Hmm ... it's a shame they're not available through Ribble. I was really hoping I could get the wheels I wanted already attached to the bike (if you know what I mean).

What about Fulcrum 5? They seem well reviewed, and the difference in price is pretty much the same as I was going to pay for the more expensive frame.

I'm looking at the 7046 sportive myself Lulubel...what i have realised is, its hard to beat ribble on their wheel prices (on any of their bikebuilder prices actually)...so if you're thinking buy the cheap ones now and upgrade later, you may as well (if the bank balance allows it) buy the right wheels first time around, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

That's what I'm hoping to do. I like the look of the 7046 frame (especially the one with the curved top tube), but I don't think I can justify paying the extra just because it looks nice!

Linford

Hmm ... it's a shame they're not available through Ribble. I was really hoping I could get the wheels I wanted already attached to the bike (if you know what I mean).

What about Fulcrum 5? They seem well reviewed, and the difference in price is pretty much the same as I was going to pay for the more expensive frame.

That's what I'm hoping to do. I like the look of the 7046 frame (especially the one with the curved top tube), but I don't think I can justify paying the extra just because it looks nice!

I had the same dilemma a few years ago about my TV when my old CRT died - should I buy the 32" widescreen which was the cheaper and thus more sensible one, or push the boat out, spend another £100 and get the 37" widescreen one which would suit the size of the room and viewing distance better.

I'm glad my heart ruled my head with that one as I haven't looked back with any regret for the choice. My attitude is you can't take it with you, so you might as well enjoy it whilst you are here. £120 extra is a good bit of wedge (and a couple of good nights out), but weigh it against being 100% happy with your choice and riding that bike for the next 5 years or more, and it becomes less of a big deal.

I'm trying to be pragmatic here (can't you tell ;) )

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
I'm glad my heart ruled my head with that one as I haven't looked back with any regret for the choice. My attitude is you can't take it with you, so you might as well enjoy it whilst you are here. £120 extra is a good bit of wedge (and a couple of good nights out), but weigh it against being 100% happy with your choice and riding that bike for the next 5 years or more, and it becomes less of a big deal.

I'd like the more expensive frame, but now I understand about the different alloys it's because I like the colour and the curved top tube. I can either afford the more expensive frame or the more expensive wheels. I figure I won't really be looking at the frame while I'm riding it, but I will notice the difference the more expensive wheels make to the ride, so it makes sense to spend the extra money on the wheels.

I'm with you on the TV, though. You buy that because you're planning to spend a lot of time looking at it, so you want the view to be good :smile:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Get the curved 7046

Seriously what's wrong with the Rodi's? I'm really not convinced on some of these weight saving options...

...spend £299 and save 0.141kg on Fulcrum 3's - couple of ounces a wheel!

...spend £540 and save 0.315kg on Fulcrum 1's - five ounces a wheel!

The whole bike with 105 is £960. Totally out of kilter imo.

Nice bike!

Having a pair of light, strong, responsive wheels makes a huge difference especially when climbing. You are small and lightweight and it's all about power to weight ratios whether you are racing or not. We are currently saving for a new pair of wheels which are going to cost around £1700, my better half's back wheel cost her £800, does it make a difference - hell yes. After saying all of that make sure you are happy enough with the frame because wheels are easier to upgrade. Nothing wrong with 7005 and most frames are made in Taiwan, which actually is very good.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Having a pair of light, strong, responsive wheels makes a huge difference especially when climbing. You are small and lightweight and it's all about power to weight ratios whether you are racing or not. We are currently saving for a new pair of wheels which are going to cost around £1700, my better half's back wheel cost her £800, does it make a difference - hell yes. After saying all of that make sure you are happy enough with the frame because wheels are easier to upgrade. Nothing wrong with 7005 and most frames are made in Taiwan, which actually is very good.
Got to agree with you , have just bought a set of Mavic 2012 Ksyrium Elite Wheels, they make the bike soooooooooo much better. feels so much quicker of the mark.

Tomba

Curved top tube? somehow the cable hang underneath does not look right why on earth did they not internally route it:cursing:

I don't really like that look either but if you look at a couple of Specialized bikes its the same (Allez & Roubaix) and they seem to sell loads, so I'm assuming it cant be a problem.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
I would go for a set of Mavics, ribble do them.

Do you mean the Aksiums? The other Mavics are all out of my budget. I'm sure I've heard they're bombproof, but heavy. (I've also had a look on Ribble, and they only give them as an option in the bike builder if you're having a Campag groupset, and I'm sticking with Shimano for my triple.)

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Get the curved 7046

Seriously what's wrong with the Rodi's? I'm really not convinced on some of these weight saving options...

After saying all of that make sure you are happy enough with the frame because wheels are easier to upgrade. Nothing wrong with 7005 and most frames are made in Taiwan, which actually is very good.

I've got all the information I need to make my decision on the frame. I'm sticking with the 7005. For me to spend an extra £130 on a frame, there has to be some benefit other than I like the look of it. I like the look of this Pinarello too, but I'm not going to kid myself that I can afford it!

I'm more interested in the strength of the wheels than the weight (although if I can get strength and lower weight for what I consider a reasonable price, that will be a bonus), and I haven't heard anyone saying the Rodis are good, strong wheels that will handle anything the Spanish roads can throw at them. If people were telling me they were strong, I'd buy them and not worry about saving weight because I like the look of them.

Top Bottom