Help With The Right Clothing For Autumn / Winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chubby Arse

Hi All,

I'm new to commuting on my bike and I'm struggling to figure out what I need for the Autumn and Winter.

During the summer I wore a cotton t-shirt and my Endura Hi-Vis jacket and this was fine as I'd wear the t-shirt for one day and then wash it. However, with the colder weather I'm wearing two t-shirts to just take the edge of the cold. This is all well and good, but the shirts get pretty wet from sweat and again - I have to wash them every day - so I'm up to two t-shirts a day! I've read that cotton isn't the best material for cycling so I think I need some new gear.

So, I obviously need something that I can wear a few times (I generally cycle 2-3 times a week). I've looked at some jerseys (wicking) that deal with sweat better. However, I'm not the only person I guess in this predicament so I'd be grateful for some experts to lend me their experience and give me some recommendations.

Also would like some recommendations on what to wear on the bottom half too. I'm a tubby-ish lad and I'd look a bit daft in the serious gear (tight), so anything that is a bit more forgiving would be good!

Sorry for being so vague, I've tried figuring out what to get myself but there is so much out there!

Thanks everyone

rusky

CC Addict
Hi & Welcome to the forum :hello:

When I was commuting 5 miles each way in the depths of winter, I found that a Merino woll t-shirt & a jumper along with a waterproof coat.

How far is you commute?

At this time of year I would just wear a merino t-shirt & a jacket.

You may find that neoprene overshoes will be needed to keep your toes toasty during winter :thumbsup:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Chubby Arse? Made me smile!

Layering is key to riding comfort. Not only are layers more effective at keeping you insulated (by trapping air between them), they also give you options: too warm, take one off; too cold, put one on.

Broadly speaking I suggest you start with a base layer of Merino wool, over which you wear a mid-layer for warmth and top it off with a wind and/or waterproof jacket.

Merino wool is best for the base as it has excellent wicking properties, drawing the sweat away from your body (cotton just stays wet, which will chill and chafe you). Whereas synthetic base layers stink after just one ride, Merino will remain fresh for longer. Check out Planet-X/On One: their base layers are regularly praised on here and are a great price!

A proper cycling jersey makes a good mid-layer: long or short sleeved, wind proof or thermal, but an everyday fleece does the job too. Lots of choice to suit you and the conditions.

Spending more on a good quality jacket does pay dividends: cheaper ones are not so breathable, so the sweat doesn't evaporate and you have a "boil in the bag" effect. Personally, I have a windproof and a separate waterproof rather than paying top dollar for one that does it all.

A gilet (sleeveless jacket) is a useful bit of kit: great for Autumn on their own or under a full jacket in Winter.

As it gets colder you should wear, at least, 3/4 length knickers to protect your knees (and longer socks for your ankles). If Lycra is too full-on for you, you could always wear baggy shorts over the top to protect your modesty, although that is a "look" in itself.

Pay special attention to your extremities: head (& neck), hands and feet. If you buy long fingered gloves a little larger than normal you can wear them over your cycling mitts. Tape up vents in your shoes or buy some windproof overshoes (from what I've read on here, no-one seems to have found a truly waterproof overshoe) and proper, cycling specific Winter socks are worth the money. A hat of some description is especially important in the wet as damp hair is an excellent conductor of heat; a muff or scarf keeps all those blood vessels in your neck snug.

Search the forums for specific recommendations for each bit of kit: people here have experience of everything from Lidl to Rapha; quite what you'll want depends on your budget and how far you ride.

Bonne route!

OP
OP
C

Chubby Arse

Thanks for the great advice guys. I've gone for a Merino 190gm base layer and some compression tights (hello ladies!).

I've gone for these as a starter. I only commute 8 miles each way, but want to get the right gear for the incoming cold. I only wear trainers (with pedal straps) at the moment, so I'm not sure any overshoes will work for me?

My jacket is already breathable and waterproof - so that should do me for a while. just got to get some wind proof gloves.

Some sound advice there guys. Cheers

scouserinlondon

Keep an eye out at your local lidl or aldi for decent cycling kit. All my base layers and cycling jerseys are now from there as I have found no real difference between it an Altura or Endura stuff. That said I have an Altura winter softshell which is lovely (I'm on my second) and a montaine featherlite which is perfect for this time of year.

Get a buff or two, the single best item for your face and noggin.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Keep an eye out at your local lidl or aldi for decent cycling kit. All my base layers and cycling jerseys are now from there as I have found no real difference between it an Altura or Endura stuff. That said I have an Altura winter softshell which is lovely (I'm on my second) and a montaine featherlite which is perfect for this time of year.

Get a buff or two, the single best item for your face and noggin.
^^ Excellent advice – I didn't buy a genuine buff™ though, and instead picked a thermal neck-tube from Mountain Warehouse (was in they're BOGOF offer and the wee one needed winter gloves :thumbsup: ) and it really does make a difference.

I'm a new commuter this year too, and I'd also recommend keeping an eye out for when LIDL (or ALDI) do their cycling gear again... good value IMHO. Do check Mountain Warehouse too... I recently bought 2 long-sleeved tops – one fleecy blue, and one black (slightly heavier-weight) with fleecy insider and soft outside. They were inexpensive, and have been working great as either an outer layer (over a LIDL cycling top) or if it's raining as a mid-layer with my lightweight pack-away rain jacket on top.

argonsixar

Dont forget that a sheet of newspaper tucked up the front of your jersey is still a terrific way to cut the wind off your chest.

Top Bottom