Help with tyre choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmd06

Hi folks,

I'm taking part in a charity cycling event. The event itself is a mixture of on and off-road cycling. The total distance is 132 Km, with 33 Km off-road. I'm using my trusty front suspension MTB for the job but I fear tyre choice with be crucial. At the moment I have a standard set of knobbly tyres that are due for replacement as they are quite worn. As the majority of this event is on road I am considering investing in a set of semi slicks. A mate of mine has a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus ATBs and he recommends them to me. I've read reviews and they look to be great, particularly for puncture protection. On the downside they are quite heavy. One problem I have is that I've no idea how tough the off-road terrain is. I believe it's a mixture of land-rover tracks, forest paths and drovers tracks with at least one water crossing!

Any idea or recommendations as to what I should use? Specific examples would be great. Thanks in advance.

Hi folks,

I'm taking part in a charity cycling event. The event itself is a mixture of on and off-road cycling. The total distance is 132 Km, with 33 Km off-road. I'm using my trusty front suspension MTB for the job but I fear tyre choice with be crucial. At the moment I have a standard set of knobbly tyres that are due for replacement as they are quite worn. As the majority of this event is on road I am considering investing in a set of semi slicks. A mate of mine has a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus ATBs and he recommends them to me. I've read reviews and they look to be great, particularly for puncture protection. On the downside they are quite heavy. One problem I have is that I've no idea how tough the off-road terrain is. I believe it's a mixture of land-rover tracks, forest paths and drovers tracks with at least one water crossing!

Any idea or recommendations as to what I should use? Specific examples would be great. Thanks in advance.

If the off road tracks are as you say, then the Schwalbe Marathon Plus are great IMHO, I use them on the mountain bike I use for touring, and they seem bomb proof, as I ride on land rover type trails with full panniers, as to date have had no problems, so far have 2000 odd miles and they are hardly worn, to be honest the wiegth is not a problem on MTB's for general use, on road they roll along quite well. I pump them up to about 90 psi, ok it gives a hard ride but they run well both on road and on trail, and whilst they are not Knobblys they seem to handle most terrain OK.

Tynan

Veteran
agreed, for an MTB they're a very good choice I think, even the road type tread will be plenty for an mtb on dry trails

Cyclist33

I use Geax Easy Riders, they're not light but they are tough, I would imagine as tough as the Schwalbes. Here's a suggestion, put a semi slick on the back wheel and a knobbly on the front, this is what I've done for my general riding. You get the grip from the knobbly and the smoother road run from the back tire. It's quite a good compromise.

Stu
Hi folks,

homercles

I ride on 50/50 road and trails and where I may gain a few seconds by using full knobbly tyres on the off road stuff, I can easily gain minutes on the faster road sections with semi slicks. I have a set of Schwalbe Marathon Cross tyres that are narrower (1.75in) and have a low profile so give very low rolling resistance but still a reasonable amount of grip on dirt and gravel. My regular 1hr20min circuit became 1hr15min when I put these on. They also have puncture resistance although I did get a slow puncture recently when a pesky thorn somehow managed to get through.

battered

Guru
I recently did a road and track tour on Michelin road tyres, I don't have a nodel name but they are 26x1.5 size and have a V shaped tread. They roll very well on road, grip OK on light off road conditions, wear for ever and show very few p******es.

Personally for a trip of 100 miles road and 30 miles light, non rocky, non muddy off road I would favour these and aboid knobblies like the plague.

bauldbairn

What about a set of Michelin City "Protek Plus's"(£10 each CRC)good on or off road(hard pack - not mud), or Continental Town and Country(£15 each CRC).

DSC00023.JPG DSC00026.JPG DSC00025.JPG

Michelin City's 26" X 1.85" - one p******e in 3000miles - quite a hard compound though!!

Top Bottom