Help!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bliss

Hi Peeps, just joined and hoping for some advice on new tyres. I have just purchased 2 Schwalbe tyres via amazon and they have arrived folded in a box like inner tubes! Seller reckons this is fine, how do I level them out to allow fitting?
Any help appreciatedđź‘Ť

Attachments

• D9C68FC9-9D7A-4408-93D5-27035FEECADB.jpeg
    D9C68FC9-9D7A-4408-93D5-27035FEECADB.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 7

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
They are folding tyres. They are supposed to be like that. Take them out of the box and unfold them

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My advice is that 'flattening them out' will not be the issue... Getting them onto the wheel rims without damaging the inner tubes is the tricky part the first few times that you do it!

There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do that and I suggest that you watch a few of them. I predate YT and damaged tubes every day for a week until finally getting an experienced cyclist to point out where I was going wrong.

Agree with the above, a cold rim and warm tyres can make things a lot easier, i resort to a bit of fairy liquid when things get teally tricky, good luck :okay:

The easy way with that type of folding tyre is to pump a little into the inner tube and fit it inside the tyre before you try fit the tyre onto the wheel.
This will hold the tyre in shape as you fit it to the wheel.
But you may well need to let some air out before you can finish fitting the tyre onto the second rim.

Luck ............. ^_^

do not use tyre leavers to get them on, you need to use the palms of your hands and roll them on
it can be a pain in the rear but persevere

The Palms of your hands yes This is something I did unconsciously and they were on but I never even gave the warmth of the tye a thought though it was summer when I fitted them

Landsurfer

Veteran
I'm a thumbs sort of guy ... I've got big thumbs, .... and i find the addition of a wipe of saliva the inside of the last 20cm of tyre bead helps me slip the tyre over the rim.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
As always i first use a hammer if that doesn't work i a blow torch and if all else fails, it goes in the bin...

Landsurfer

Veteran
As always i first use a hammer if that doesn't work i a blow torch and if all else fails, it goes in the bin...
Thumbs, Nylon Faced Hammer, GS Screwdriver, (Flat Blade and Phillips), 90 degree flameproof Torch, Ball End Allen Keys, 220mm Adjustable Spanner ..... ... Thats a tool kit !!

Top Bottom