Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hello there, I know this will have been asked about a zillion times, but what currently is quite simply the best value for money roadbike out there??

I have looked about on the internet but because I don't quite know where to start looking, I keep on coming across links that are probably out of date now. The one that told me the Giant OCR2 was the best for example, or the other one that said .....well you get the picture, I am aware that time moves on, so what is regarded as being the current holder of this title??

I'd be done with it and buy the likes of a Cervelo S1, but I don't think I have the money for that sort of thing just yet!!

Any help would be appreciated and yet again, apologies if this has been asked ad nauseum on here.

Thanks.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Very good, but it looks to be just a bit out of my price range after I quickly looked it up and found one for £7000 and others for £3000, etc etc (or maybe I'm looking at the wrong bit??).

I should have added that the best value for money bit of my question was just that - what's the best in not just quality and performance, but also on cost?

ChristinaJL

Specialized and Giant both do good value bikes, I've yet to try out any other makes though.

I'd love a Cervelo one day, need a lottery win first though. ;)

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'm afraid that there is no one answer - if there was we would all be riding the same bike!

If it's an entry level bike you want just stick to the major manufacturers and reasonably decent groupsets and you wont go too far wrong.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I know - I saw the S1 for sale for £850ish somewhere and £999 somewhere else, so a little bit of saving would be needed (I actually have just been made redundant, so, err, that would be interesting if it ever happened!! ha ha!!).

Ao, I'm looking for a bike that's good and ...cheap (there, said it, I feel so soiled and dirty now).

Talking of Giant, that's where the OCRs came from, so would you still recommend it??

To be fair, I'm still just looking about - I figure that since I'll probably have lots of free time at the moment, then I can get fit for when I go back to being a student again after the summer (I'm 'going back' to get 'real' qualifications this time as I am in the middle of a change in career direction).
I know I can't get anything too expensive currently, the more expensive models are just there on a backburner in my mind.

Thanks.

ChristinaJL

My husband is getting a giant defy 3 on the cycle to work scheme - if his paperwork ever turns up. I'll let you know how he gets on with it, but it could be a while. ;)

I on the other hand have a specialized bike - a womens' one (08 dolce elite), and it's really well made and stands up to all sorts of abuse on the roads round here. xx(

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I do have my old mountain bike I got about 13 years ago which I have stripped down with the intention of getting refurbed. It's a Raleigh Max Ogre, so it probably weighs more than it's worth! ;)

It is a pretty heavy and robust frame, so yes I can start with that, and then use it during the winter when the weather is crap, but it's just so damn heavy, and I want something that's just a bit lighter and doesn't feel like a tank!

In short, I want a plane, not a tank.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
So seriously, should I wait and get an S1, or should I pursue one of the other beauties I have seen mentioned on my first day here??

Top Bottom