Hercules Aston Tourist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well i have just spent the best part of 2 hours trying to fit the original rear guards back on to this machine to no avail mainly due to them being twisted and out of shape , so tried another pr that fitted well but the rear most support rods were too short to reach the mount points on the rear stays :angry:

So 2 hours and still no rear guard .......

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well i have just spent the best part of 2 hours trying to fit the original rear guards back on to this machine to no avail mainly due to them being twisted and out of shape , so tried another pr that fitted well but the rear most support rods were too short to reach the mount points on the rear stays :angry:

So 2 hours and still no rear guard .......
Can you not cannibalise the original stays onto t'other mudguard

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A bit of thinking and tinkering tonight and I have managed to come up with a bracket to allow me to fit a set of rear guard's on this machine .

IMG_20181112_195833288.jpg

Will have to wait until the morning to see the guards on the bike.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A nice 20 mile ride this morning on this one .

Nice and smooth till about a mile from the end when the front guard started to rattle so will have to see what is going on there .

IMG_20181118_075610032.jpg

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It's looking a treat, very nice indeed. In what way is it better to ride than your Lenton? (sorry, just been catching up with the thread :smile:)

How does it compare with my old Lenton ?
I think a lot of it is down to the way 27" wheels roll along with this one being a smaller frameset than the Lenton
And then the originality ie paint & decals whereas the Lenton has been painted a horrid dull brown ( almost read lead colour )
Hoping once the new rear wheel is built and fitted it will also stop a lot better than the Lenton in all conditions which will make it more useable .
Also 26 x 1 1/4" tyres have a really limited choice even compared to 27 X 1 1/4"
If this all works out ok i might fit 27" wheels on to the Lenton but will see
I am also tempted to try a set of drops on this Hercules as well

Proto

Legendary Member
Nothing to do with your bike, but I have a very tenuous link with Hercules bikes.

My grandfather was a south Wales collier, but after the great depression struggled to maintain employment. Partially to do with economic conditions, but I suspect also something to do with his far left political stance which might have got him blackballed. A bit of an activist. He eventually gave up and moved to Birmingham. I believe the first job he had there was at Accles and Pollock, in the steel tube mill , and then later at Hercules bicycle factory in Aston. His job was putting partially assembled bikes into packing crates for export, I seem to recall him saying 40 per crate. Not sure what else he did after that, but eventually opened a corner shop in Ladywood selling sweets and groceries, and 'pop' by the glass!

Top Bottom