Hercules

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Biker man

And here she is on Pathe News 1956:

View: https://youtu.be/XjNzpWph-io

They were popular when I was young then they seemed to disappear.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
And here's the bike I Coventry transport museum

Chris S

Legendary Member
They were popular when I was young then they seemed to disappear.
"No wonder she wins races, she has to, to get back in time to catch up with the housework."
You couldn't get away with that these days. It reminds me of a comedian on TV saying that he didn't mind his wife being a junior doctor and working a 48 hour shift, so long as his dinner was on the table when he got home ...

OP
OP
B

Biker man

"No wonder she wins races, she has to, to get back in time to catch up with the housework."
You couldn't get away with that these days. It reminds me of a comedian on TV saying that he didn't mind his wife being a junior doctor and working a 48 hour shift, so long as his dinner was on the table when he got home ...
I better no say anything or I will be lynched 😄

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
I have been told by denizens of the former Empire that Hercules was the most sought-after make of bicycle in Kenya. Apparently, Hercumatic gears made a rhythmic tick-tick-tick-tick when the bike was ridden whilst Sturmey Archer gears progressed in silence. Either the ticking must have appealed to the locals' sense of rhythm or perhaps it was an audible status symbol declaring that one's bike had gears when most machines were bog-standard single-speed boneshakers, possibly both. Long term, it seems someone missed out on a marketing opportunity — or did SA come up with a better ticker?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think I'm right in saying that for a brief period, the Hercules factory was actually the biggest in terms of annual production, slightly ahead of even Raleigh. However the total bicycle market size was declining with increasing car ownership, so when consolidation resulted in Hercules and Raleigh joining forces, the enlarged Raleigh organisation then became the largest producer and remained so for many years.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I think I'm right in saying that for a brief period, the Hercules factory was actually the biggest in terms of annual production, slightly ahead of even Raleigh. However the total bicycle market size was declining with increasing car ownership, so when consolidation resulted in Hercules and Raleigh joining forces, the enlarged Raleigh organisation then became the largest producer and remained so for many years.
Didn't know that something very British in both names I think they wear built in the Midlands.

Top Bottom