Here goes..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
So far little more than a spin around the block. Tomorrow the commute.

Got a 16t sprocket on Friday and I've just screwed it on to my Singlecross. I wanted a bigger gear than the spinny 42 x 18 that comes as standard. Why not fixed too? got to try it someday.

Too early to say whether I like it, still feels weird and unnatural.

Looking forward to my commute. Always do I guess.

More so, then.

Hugo15

Über Member
Remember just keep pedalling!!

It took me a good couple of weeks before I could manage my commute without trying to freewheel. Do stick at it though as it is good fun.

Good luck and enjoy!

longers

Legendary Member
I'm back on my fixed in about 10 minutes after nearly a month off saving up for a new back wheel.

Must remember to keep pedalling!

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Well I did forget once. I realize I tend to coast across junctions. Bike gave me a little reminder.

Feels better uphill. Downhill is harder. Braking using legs alone is harder than I thought it would be.

The toughest bit at the moment is when I have to do little things like scoot through the pedestrian gate at work 'cos the security guy's gone for a cig. Don't know what to do with my feet and pedals.

MajorMantra

palinurus said:
Feels better uphill. Downhill is harder. Braking using legs alone is harder than I thought it would be.

The toughest bit at the moment is when I have to do little things like scoot through the pedestrian gate at work 'cos the security guy's gone for a cig. Don't know what to do with my feet and pedals.

I wouldn't sweat the leg braking. It's very useful for modulating your speed but for coming to a full stop it's hard work and will murder your knees if you overdo it. Learning to skid is fun though it's hell on tyres.:rolleyes:

You should find that the slow speed stuff actually gets easier than it was on a freewheel bike, at least that has been my experience. I find that the very direct control makes slow maneuvering more accurate. Next comes trackstanding...

Matthew

RedBike

I thought I had got the hand of not wanting to freewheel. Then last week a car pulled out on me. I slammed on the brakes and stopped pedalling. Lets just say there was nothing gentle about the reminder I got.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
RedBike said:
I thought I had got the hand of not wanting to freewheel. Then last week a car pulled out on me. I slammed on the brakes and stopped pedalling. Lets just say there was nothing gentle about the reminder I got.

I was thinking that this morning: I bet if I need to stop in a hurry I forget to keep pedalling.

longers

Legendary Member
Twas good to be back on that bike, the hill is still there but it's mostly lovely and smooth now as they've finally put the tarmac back on it.
I was apprehensive about dodging the raised grids and manhole covers at 25mph and keeping pedalling.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
palinurus said:
I was thinking that this morning: I bet if I need to stop in a hurry I forget to keep pedalling.

If you do then just put effort in and you will skid the back wheel instead.
As for what to do when you need to scoot, either sit on the saddle and pedal slowly(i find you have alot more control at lower speeds on fixed, use your feet to control your speed. Or just push down on one pedal, let yourself go up, then come back down, just using one leg if you get me.
Pedaling slowly may be the easiest way though.

Joe24

longers said:
Twas good to be back on that bike, the hill is still there but it's mostly lovely and smooth now as they've finally put the tarmac back on it.
I was apprehensive about dodging the raised grids and manhole covers at 25mph and keeping pedalling.

Is that not part of the fun? I love doing some weeving in and out of things on my fixed, great fun.
I even do it sometimes when i have nothing to weave for.

longers

Legendary Member
Joe24 said:
Is that not part of the fun?

Not on this road with it dug up. You'd have been fine Joe but I'm a big Jessie.

Mottram to Stalybridge for anyone round here reading this = nice and smooth now :wacko:

Joe24

longers said:
Not on this road with it dug up. You'd have been fine Joe but I'm a big Jessie.

Mottram to Stalybridge for anyone round here reading this = nice and smooth now :wacko:

I always think its fine when you can see them, its when you cant see them that annoys me.

akaAndrew

palinurus said:
I bet if I need to stop in a hurry I forget to keep pedalling.

Probably. Especially if you ride a freewheel bike too.

Trick is to try and ride so you don't need to stop in a hurry. Easier said then done, I know. Try to practice the art of 'all seeing, all knowing' and 'being one with your environment'... or something like that anyway!

Joe24

akaAndrew said:
Probably. Especially if you ride a freewheel bike too.

Trick is to try and ride so you don't need to stop in a hurry. Easier said then done, I know. Try to practice the art of 'all seeing, all knowing' and 'being one with your environment'... or something like that anyway!

We arent going to get some stupid twat going on about 'zen' or some other bollocks are we?;)

D

Deleted member 1258

Joe24 said:
We arent going to get some stupid twat going on about 'zen' or some other bollocks are we?;)

We can do if you want B)

I came back to fixed almost 2 years ago, and I still forget to pedal once in a while, usually on a Monday morning after doing the club run the day before on gears, and I am still rubbish at leg braking and track stands. Palinurus welcome to fixed wheel, the important thing is to just relax and enjoy the ride.

palinurus

Top Bottom