Here I go again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
At present I use my Allez as a winter bike but feel it isn't really adequate for winter so I am thinking of getting a Boardman ADV 8.6 gravel bike from Halford for £700. It has wider tyres , good gearing 32/48 chain train and 11/36 cassette. It can also be fitted with mudguards if needed.
Being my usual me, I will probably talk myself out of it but in case I don't, do you have any views on the Boardman?

At present I use my Allez as a winter bike but feel it isn't really adequate for winter so I am thinking of getting a Boardman ADV 8.6 gravel bike from Halford for £700. It has wider tyres , good gearing 32/48 chain train and 11/36 cassette. It can also be fitted with mudguards if needed.
Being my usual me, I will probably talk myself out of it but in case I don't, do you have any views on the Boardman?
I think gravel bikes make great winter steeds, enjoyed mine a lot last winter. Can't comment on the Boardman though?

They are boring bikes in the 2020:21 colours... black and also quite aggressive in position. A small has a 51.5cm seat tube with a 54.5cm top tube.
What about a focus mares ax or a cube?

My mate bought one a few moths ago and uses it mainly for canal and railway paths, seems ok.

One thing he's had trouble with are the brakes, original pads wore out very quickly, he's a pretty big chap 15 stone, and it's mostly used in the slush so obviously wear quicker than than just on the road.

Halfords replaced them for free when he took it back for a check over but they needed constant adjustment, cable discs, in comparison I go with him on most rides since he's had it and with full hydro GRX brakes and no issues.

They've just replaced the pads with some 'organic' ones for whatever reason so he's going to see what they're like.

I think if you could push to the 8.9 you get a bit more for your money and only £300 more .

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Planet X London Road only £750 at the moment.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If I go ahead with it, I have my mind on the Trek Domane AL2 with discs. At £800, it looks like a good bike and better gearing than the Planet X London Road I think.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Gravel bikes make great winter bikes. as long as you have mudguard mounts and room for at least 28mm tyres, which pretty much every gravel bike will, then it comes down to personal choice over colour schemes, price points, illogical brand preferences and spec.

hydro brakes are better and more fuss free than cable discs, but normally come with a price premium.

I get a stack of use out of mine, which is a cheap alu Pinnacle arkose, bought 2nd hand. I invested in a 2nd set of cheap wheels so I can swap between 28mm slicks and 35mm knobbly tyres depending on where I'm going / road /bridleway.

Top Bottom