Here we go again - AGAIN

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob S

From cyclingnews:

New positive test leaked
One day after Alexandre Vinoukourov was said to have tested positive for a blood transfusion, news of another positive doping control has hit the Tour de France. L'Equipe reported Wednesday afternoon that one sample from stage 11 has tested positive for testosterone. The analysis to determine if the testosterone was of exogenous origin has already been completed, and the IRMS confirmed that the chemical came not from the rider's body but from a man-made source. The name of the rider is to be released at 15.00 CET.

The testing was performed at the Châtenay-Malabry laboratory - the same lab responsible for performing tests on Floyd Landis' 2006 Tour sample that showed a similar result. This result is the second positive of the Tour, and the third testosterone positive announced this month after Patrik Sinkewitz (T-Mobile) and Matthias Kessler (Astana). Stage 11 was won by Barloworld's Robert Hunter while Rabobank's Michael Rasmussen wore the yellow jersey. Both riders and several random riders would have been controlled after the stage.

Meanwhile, scary news of a completely different sort has been reported by Reuters. A telephoned bomb threat was reported by Cadena Ser radio, and there has reportedly been a small explosion on part of the route in Spain.

OP
OP
Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I guess that's a pretty good translation of my L'Equipe news feed!

Info L'Equipe : Après Alexandre Vinoukourov, positif aux transfusions homologues, l'Union cycliste internationale (UCI) va annoncer très rapidement l'existence d'un nouveau cas positif sur le Tour de France.

Des traces de testostérone exogène ont été retrouvées dans un échantillon urinaire prélevé à l'issue de la 11e étape Marseille-Montpellier. Ce contrôle positif, établi par le laboratoire de Châtenay-Malabry, a été réalisé grâce à l'emploi de la technique de l'IRMS, technique isotopique qui permet de distinguer l'origine exogène (extérieure) ou endogène (produite par l'organisme) de l'hormone.

La testostérone, hormone androgène anabolisante, est actuellement employée par les sportifs en doses infimes, sous forme de patches ou de gel, afin, notamment, d'accélérer la récupération. Patrik Sinkewitz (T-Mobile) avait été contrôlé à cette même substance lors d'un stage précédant le départ du Tour de France, en juin dernier.

Time 13.01 BST

Monty Dog

All this exogeneous T abuse kinda blows a hole in Landis' assertion that it doesn't make a difference to performance and hence no reason to take it! Are we really that stupid to assume everyone's taking something that's of no benefit, unless of course it's being used as a mask for something a bit more powerful?

fuzzy29

I hope that Barloworld are not involved. Lets just hope that it was one of the Astana boys in a random test, at least they have already been kicked out.

Keith Oates

Janner
I agree with that Fuzzy, and even more so hope that it's not one of the frontrunners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tetedelacourse

Interestingly he was the only rider I saw who stuck up for Rasmussen when interviewed after Monday's (or Sunday's?) stage.

It can't be Rasmussen or we'd know by now. Was Soler in the polkas at that point? He's another possibility if so as the leader of each classification is tested too, right?

steviesch

its a pro sport - ergo there will be cheating - we can philosophise ad infinitum but unless all cyclists everywhere visit the TDF course and dump all their bike bling on the course and do not buy any more then we will see cheating at some level...as for football....well need i say more!?

OP
OP
Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Here's the list of those tested on the stage in question:

Robert Hunter (Barlo)
Michael Rasmussen (Rabo)
Kim Kirschen (T-Mobile)
Erik Zabel (Milram)
Francisco Vila (Lampre)
Lilian Jégou (Francaise de Jeux)