"Here We Go Round The.......... Erm?!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One of two traditional expressions/sayings that attributable to Wakefield

In this case, not so much as the song, but as in doing something pointless

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-48187650

The other, seemingly originates fairly close to wear I work
As Mad As A Hatter

Stanley Royd,
as it became known, having been built as the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum

Its first 'inmate'/patient was reputed to have been a Milliner, & one of the processes used for treating the Rabbit fur, to turn it into the felt that was used, involved Mercury
Which is no good for the human brain!!!

A "Prison horticulturist", that's gotta be up there on the, jobs you don't see advertised too often, list.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
As Mad As A Hatter
I've always connected that with Luton, famous for hats, as their footy-club's nickname suggests. The mercury bit I knew about.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
As Mad As A Hatter
I've always connected that with Luton, famous for hats, as their footy-club's nickname suggests. The mercury bit I knew about.
My home town club, Luton Town, are called 'the Hatters' because hatmaking was one of the main industries in Luton for many years but there aren't many factories left now. Hardly any in fact. They weren't nice places to work, according to the stories I have heard from relatives. Many of them worked in hat factories when they left school. When I was a kid there must have been 20 hat firms in the town centre, in fact one of my great uncles used to own one.

I remember towards the end one factory burnt down and a young girl died. The fire spread so rapidly, due to the wooden rafters and floors being impregnated with the resins and chemicals used in the hat making process, that she couldn't get out in time.

The only hat manufacturer that I know is still going (or at least was when I left Luton some 11 years ago) is Snoxells, who made straw boaters among other things. A straw boater features on most incarnations of the Luton Town badge.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Poor Mulberry. But planting a new one where disease is present doesn't sound very Horticultural (Prison or not) to me. Perhaps they intend to dig out the old soil and refill with fresh?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My home town club, Luton Town, are called 'the Hatters' because hatmaking was one of the main industries in Luton for many years but there aren't many factories left now. Hardly any in fact. They weren't nice places to work, according to the stories I have heard from relatives. Many of them worked in hat factories when they left school. When I was a kid there must have been 20 hat firms in the town centre, in fact one of my great uncles used to own one.

I remember towards the end one factory burnt down and a young girl died. The fire spread so rapidly, due to the wooden rafters and floors being impregnated with the resins and chemicals used in the hat making process, that she couldn't get out in time.

The only hat manufacturer that I know is still going (or at least was when I left Luton some 11 years ago) is Snoxells, who made straw boaters among other things. A straw boater features on most incarnations of the Luton Town badge.

It was also well known in Stockport and Denton and there is a hat museum in the former.

classic33

Leg End Member
One of two traditional expressions/sayings that attributable to Wakefield

In this case, not so much as the song, but as in doing something pointless

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-48187650

The other, seemingly originates fairly close to wear I work
As Mad As A Hatter

Stanley Royd,
as it became known, having been built as the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum

Its first 'inmate'/patient was reputed to have been a Milliner, & one of the processes used for treating the Rabbit fur, to turn it into the felt that was used, involved Mercury
Which is no good for the human brain!!!
Also from where "Round the bend" comes from. The curved driveway upto the building itself. The bend in the drive hiding the building from public view.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Also from where "Round the bend" comes from. The curved driveway upto the building itself. The bend in the drive hiding the building from public view.
My dad used to work with a guy whose nickname was 'Harpic', because he was clean round the bend!

ozboz

Guru
Failsworth Hats ! and they still make them ,but not in the original building , it’s a town between Manchester and Oldham , been there forever, I left school at Easter in 1968 and worked there temporarily until September until my apprenticeship started in engineering , not the nicest intro to work in a dirty old mill building ,
Some had been there all their working life,

classic33

Leg End Member
Failsworth Hats ! and they still make them ,but not in the original building , it’s a town between Manchester and Oldham , been there forever, I left school at Easter in 1968 and worked there temporarily until September until my apprenticeship started in engineering , not the nicest intro to work in a dirty old mill building ,
Some had been there all their working life,
Home to the "Lancashire Loonies".
The 248th.

I've got two mulberry trees in my garden... You can hardly describe them as bushes... :laugh: Actually, the fruit makes very good eating, but it doesn't half stain your hands purple. :whistle:

Regarding silkworms, they need white mulberry to thrive on, which is a different species to the black mulberry that is native to the UK.

Top Bottom