Herne Hill Velodrome - anyone go there/tried it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thefollen

Veteran
I've just discovered this place exists and am mildly excited.

See they have starter sessions and the like. Would I be fine rocking up on my road bike, and is it (the track) any good?

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The place is undergoing a renaissance after their crisis a couple of years back. Their calendar is pretty well booked up now. And, as far as I know, it's just about always ok to just turn up and have a look when there's something going on.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I have a friend who did the beginners' course in the last few months. He really enjoyed it. I think they lend you a bike. I doubt you can just rock up and expect to be allowed to roll around on your road bike, no..

oldroadman

Veteran
I'm not sure if you have to go through an accreditation session first, protocal and etiquette. Just turning up and "going for it" is a way to find out falling off is painful, so do go and listen to the coaches, it will be all the more enjoyable for a little learning.

slowride

I ride at Herne Hill when time permits and it's a fantastic facility with very friendly helpful team of volunteers.

You have to do 1 "Induction" session which is 6 or 8 quid (including bike hire if you want) for 1 hour from 1-2pm Sat. Just turn up 1/2 hour before as it can get busy.
After Induction you have to do 3 "Beginner" sessions which is 6 quid for 1 hour from 12-1pm Sat.
After that, it's the "Intermediate" sessions which are 2 hours from 10-12 Sat.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Latest pic
imageh.jpg

Red17

Veteran
I did an induction / taster session there last Saturday.

This time of year they are monthly on Saturday PM. £15 for 1.5hour session and they lend you the bike and coach you through a variety of drills.

You can't use a road bike on the track and need to do an induction before you can move onto any other sessions. After the induction you can turn up at some beginners sessions and you have to work to get an accreditation before you can move up to the next level.

During the warmer months you can turn up most Saturdays for the induction I believe - its all on their website.

New clubhouse is not yet open, but I was impressed with the coaching and what you got for your £15. I'm planning to do a couple of the beginners sessions now I have my induction - they do get busy though, even at this time of year.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's the the only surviving venue from the 1948 Olympics.

I've never been there, but I thought I'd delight you with that little fact.

oldroadman

Veteran
Raced there, and as a youngster saw some epic races, Simpson and co putting on a show. All of which inspired this old git to have a proper go. If I knew where that would lead....would do it all again. It looks great now and when the new stand properly opens will be really something. Brilliant place!

Top Bottom