Heroes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
I've been holding off starting this thread until I'd caught up. I've now watched all episodes until the end of series two. I have them all on my computer. I will [try] not [to] post any spoilers on this thread, but if you are going to continue and have not watched as far as me, beware!

So, who has any thoughts? I rate the series very highly indeed, captivating throughout. A brilliant plot and fantastic screenplay. I could watch the whole lot from beginning to end again tomorrow.

I disagree. Faux mysticism. Escapist. The sort of millienial nonsense that holds sway over far too many young people in the US. I'll be straight, DT, I think it's crap of the first order. Sorry.

SamNichols

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 'escapist' in TV, or in any of the creative media: fiction of any sort is always escapist, or else it wouldn't be fiction. Faux mysticism, yes, I would agree, in particular their assertions of the connected nature of all mankind, but in no way as faux mystic as Lost, or Battlestar Galactica (which I really enjoy, by the way).
I'm not sure about how much sway 'millenial nonsense' has over young people in the US, there is always apocalyptic imagery in comic books, which is where much of Heroes' iconography comes from. So yes, to some extent, but whether that actually has any visceral effect on the people, I wouldn't know - I am no expert on the viewing tendencies of the American young, so I'll hold that judgement.

as for the show itself, it has strong points, it holds you that's for sure. Some find performances, such as Ecclestone, McDowell and the guy that plays Hiro; but, equally, some awful performances - the woman who plays Nikki is atrocious, and the guy who plays the Dr is a bit of a stink machine.
Also, for all of it's strong episodes, there are at least two slow ones where nothing happens, and it cheeses me off. So, I enjoy it, but I lose patience with it as it is slow so much of the time. I don't watch a show about superheroes to see their emotional toil and their family difficulties. Also, Hayden wasserface is as cute as a button.

I'm willing to give it another go - but what struck me was this....We do have a bit of a crisis on our hands, what with global warming and political strife. 'Heroe's' attempts to compress the world's anxieties into a few chosen people. To make the big picture, which, most of us would agree, needs political attention and a political response, into the personal. That's a particular form of escapism that acts as a cover for avoiding the big stuff. If I'm being unfair, then say so.

Well I like it.:blush:

Only seen the first series though (we only have stone age tv).

It's better than Lost (so far anyway) in that the writers don't just add more and more 'mysteries' until it's clear they're making it up as they go along (even if they are). Agree that it shouldn't be dragged out until every last cent has been wrung out of the idea (X-Files anyone?)

Carwash

Señor Member
Errm, as far as I'm aware the second season isn't over yet - they're on a hiatus until the writers' strike is over. *Volume* 2 is has concluded, but we're only halfway through *Season* 2.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
simon l& and a half said:
I disagree. Faux mysticism. Escapist. The sort of millienial nonsense that holds sway over far too many young people in the US. I'll be straight, DT, I think it's crap of the first order. Sorry.

Come on Simon, even you have to relax sometimes. Don't you? xx(

I like how you put escapist and faux-mysticism as criticisms. Quite telling.

Of course it is just light hearted entertainment aimed at a youthful audience, but that is its strength, not its weakness.

Go on, give it another go and enjoy it for what it is, you're not gonna learn anything from it but heh!

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Carwash said:
Errm, as far as I'm aware the second season isn't over yet - they're on a hiatus until the writers' strike is over. *Volume* 2 is has concluded, but we're only halfway through *Season* 2.

At the end of the last episode there was a preview for season 3 entited 'Villains' so that was a good indication of the season finishing.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's fantasy, simon. Of course you can read political intent into fantasy, but you can also over-interpret. Heroes is a take on the American superheroes with personal problems tradition. Its 'realism' comes from that personal pscychological strand of US comic / TV / cinema fiction, and it plays with that. Not always originally, and not always successfully, but to criticise it for being escapist is a bit bizarre, if not to say missing the point.

And from a personal point-of-view, it's rather nice having Indian and Japanese main characters (given a. that Indians seem to be the last racial groups it's totally okay to mock in US TV, and b. the historic antipathy to Japan in the States) even if Hiro's sidekick is not actually Japanese and can't speak the language properly...

Top Bottom