herringbone flooring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I’m doing some of this flooring from Howdens. I got a discount but it’s still about £60 a pack. I’ve noticed with all the cuts there’s about 25% waste. I think if I did the pattern the other way then it would roughly be the same cuts. It looks good but I wish I had known this before spending about a grand on it.

Attachments

• 62BA0675-17A0-477C-A89B-245173D308EE.jpeg
    62BA0675-17A0-477C-A89B-245173D308EE.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I’m doing some of this flooring from Howdons. I got a discount but it’s still about £60 a pack. I’ve noticed with all the cuts there’s about 25% waste. I think if I did the pattern the other way then it would roughly be the same cuts. It looks good but I wish I had known this before spending about a grand on it.

Looks good but sounds wasteful.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Is it floating like laminate/. Looks good, but yes, can see where you'd get waste.

Yeah but you don’t have to leave a block gap on this. It just grips its self down and you can cut it inline with your skirting board. The room looks bigger & it is nice but the wastage really is insane. Material wise, time wise & money wise. I like it but wouldn’t do it again.

CXRAndy

Guru
Howdens are expensive.
Return the flooring Howdens will take it back.

Not if you have a trade account

CXRAndy

Guru
Yeah but you don’t have to leave a block gap on this. It just grips its self down and you can cut it inline with your skirting board. The room looks bigger & it is nice but the wastage really is insane. Material wise, time wise & money wise. I like it but wouldn’t do it again.

I was going to say , it will look great but time consuming. I suppose careful measure of the room could help reduce waste

berty bassett

Legendary Member
from a tiling point of view , 10 minutes setting out can save a lot of waste ,also careful cutting you haven't 'lost' the other part of the plank and it can be used somewhere else , obviously the smaller the room the more percentage of cuts and waste , I regularly have to tile houses with big kitchen and diner wrapping round to utility hallway and cloaks and makes a huge difference setting out
I used to have howdens trade account (might still have one ) as it was the only way you could buy of them ,but the one near me struck me as not the sort of company I wanted to deal with and I often told customers to get stuff from somewhere else

newts

Veteran
As BB says above setting out is key, the first plank you fit dictates where all the rest sit.
25% waste does sound excessive.
Is your flooring Quick Step vinyl click planks? if so it's one of the better products that Howdens sell.
Their kitchens & internal/external doors are very mediocre at best.

Top Bottom