He's getting away lads.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

bonk man said:
Thats me told:biggrin:.... so how much do I have to fork out [ pun intended ] for a full sus XC bike that weighs the same as my current [ not much carbon fibre or ti attached to it ] hardtail bike; 25lbs ?

A lot!
A Scott spark 20 at a wopping £3k ?

A small weight penalty isn't always a disadvantage. For example most people are happy to fit a suspension fork instead of rigid carbon fork even though there's a weight penalty involved.

Most people are happy to run large volume aggressively tread tyres even though there's a weight and rolling penalty involved.

It's logical to take this argument one stage further in that the performance increase due to full suspension (in the right conditions) is worth the extra weight.

If weight really mattered that much we'd all have single speed cyclo-x bikes.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Mrs TB's Santa Cruz Superlight weights 24lbs in race trim.

She uses it in preference to a hardtail as the going doesn't have to get very technical before she's much quicker on it uphill and down.

I don't know how much it would cost to replace because it came as a frame and has been built up and refined over the years. But the Tune hubs alone weren't cheap. But it's in a completely different league to her everyday Superlight which is built up with XT, etc.

U

User482

bonk man said:
Thats me told:biggrin:.... so how much do I have to fork out [ pun intended ] for a full sus XC bike that weighs the same as my current [ not much carbon fibre or ti attached to it ] hardtail bike; 25lbs ?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/anthem-x-2-09-32590

Giant Anthem X2

25.8 lb and £1600. I doubt you'd find better value. If you want something less racy, then the Trance range (also by Giant) weigh about 1lb more at each price point.

Top Bottom