Hetchins comes home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a luvverly sunny day on the Thames Riviera so I thought I'd take the Hetchins out for a ride.

Finding myself at the far end of Southend Sea Front, I thought I'd head up to Hamstel Road and visit the old Hetchins shop. It's changed hands twice at least since I used to live round the corner in the 90s, but was at least still a bike shop, or so I thought.

Here it is in around 1980 judging by the MkI Fiesta parked outside.

Here it is today, with my curly Vade Mecum parked outside and isn't even a bike shop any more. It was like coming home from college to find your parents have moved!

In good news, the bike shop that was there is still going, just a hundred yards down the road, and the bike behaved impeccably. Still, feeling slightly melancholy I rode on to Southchurch Park and back to the seafront to cheer myself up.

So, that notwithstanding, I can recommend a good long spin on a vintage lightweight on a sunny day to cure melancholia! :smile:

wisdom

Guru
That is a beautiful bike.Love the shape of the chainstays.

yello

bump

I was talking to someone over lunch yesterday and he was telling me of his Hetchins fixed wheel. (He hailed from Southend way but, given his age, probably acquired the bike prior to Hetchins moving to Southend) I knew the Hetchins name but that's all, so wanted to find out more. Lo and behold, I find a link back to cc. Funny old world innit?

All uphill

Still rolling along
bump

I was talking to someone over lunch yesterday and he was telling me of his Hetchins fixed wheel. (He hailed from Southend way but, given his age, probably acquired the bike prior to Hetchins moving to Southend) I knew the Hetchins name but that's all, so wanted to find out more. Lo and behold, I find a link back to cc. Funny old world innit?

Worth a look at Argos Racing Cycles website. In their gallery there are some gorgeous Hetchins.

OP
OP
Specialeyes
Have a look at Hetchins.org as well - it's a really comprehensive repository of Hetchins stuff.

Top Bottom