Hewitt Alpine Carbon - 100% all round excellence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
I saw the excellent review of this frame, built up with Campag Athena, in C+ and liked the idea of a carbon frame which while fast and light could also take mudguards (:smile: yes I know, horrible thought) and even a pannier rack for longer Audaxes or credit card touring. As I was also in the market for a bike fitting, and I know Paul Hewitt had a very good reputation in this area, I went along to Hewitts with the aim of bike fitting then decision/consultation about whether to go for the Alpine carbon or an Enigma Ti framed bike with the same options.

Six weeks later I collected the Alpine carbon (really, I was always going to go for this option unless Paul Hewitt had said they couldn't make it fit) and rode it from Leyland (near Preston) home to the Lake District via Trough of Bowland and Kirby Lonsdale - just to test the gearing, you understand.

What a fantastic bike - it feels light and responsive on the climbs while being solid and confidence-building on the descents - you certainly need this with the quality of the road surfaces involved but I'd be completely happy taking it to the Alps where the descents are truly fast. Hopefully it will get a chance to really show its paces in Mallorca next March.

The fit is pretty much perfect - after 2 hilly 100km rides I've had not a twinge from the back (my back, that is), which is a real novelty as back issues caused me to give up riding uprights in favour of recumbents about 5 years ago and this bike is my re-entry to the upright world.

The complete spec is:
Athena 11 spd carbon compact
Athena rear and front mechs
Athena Ergo levers
Shimano R-650 brakes (long drop needed because of mudguard clearance)
Ambrosio Excellight rims on Record hubs
Michelin Pro Race tyres
FSA Wing Pro compact bars
FSA carbon seat post and stem
Selle Italia Lady Gel saddle
Crank Bros Quattro pedals

So great bike, perfect fit and fantastic service all round at Hewitts.
Result - one very happy customer :laugh:

Top Bottom