Hewitt alpine forks/headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin McNeely

I'm looking for some advice on my frame I've just acquired. I've searched the net but not getting anywhere.
My problem is that I can't find a headset with a deep enough bottom bearing to suit my ribble forks. I've spoken to hewitt's but not really getting anywhere. I've to phone back on Tuesday but I've not got the confidence in them. The recess in the bottom of the heat tube is 10mm deep including seat. The headset I have is cane creek IS41 and the bearing is 6.5mm which leaves my forks 'bottoming' out in the frame. This leaves 3.5mm too short.
I've also been to my lbs but they recommended I spoke to hewitt. Anyone else experience this?

lpretro1

Hewitt's know what they are talking about. Reserve judgment until you have spoken to them as requested!

OP
OP
Martin McNeely

Martin McNeely

I have already spoken to them as I said before..... I don't doubt they know what they are talking about but hopefully I will eventually get somewhere as a recent dealing with ribble was extremely poor. I just hope they aren't the same.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The gap at the bottom is normally that big because the crown race takes up the remaining space.

Sorry to be a bit obvious but have you got a crown race fitted to the forks?

If so and the forks are still bottoming out then you could look at putting a spacer under the crown race.

Top Bottom