Hey All..New here - tyre question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I believe Trek aired it up to 70[psi]. I'm averaging about 10 mph right now.. And i estimate when i hit rail trail i should be able to do 14-15 mph average.
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3-disc/p/28474/
Who is "Trek"? When you last pumped them up, what pressures did you put in front/rear?
Answer the main question, please. [Wheels have 32 spokes]
Trek is the company that made the bike. They have local Trek stores.. . . . But when i do my cross state ride i will use one. . . . Im a little concerned when all the youtube video i see it looks like people are moving at like 25 mph.. I can do an average of 10. 15 if no lights or crosswalks. For me to get my bike to 20, builds to much lactic acid in my legs. The touring im gonna be doing isnt scripted with hotels and time schedules.... Doing hobo touring..
Share the youtube link. Who are these people moving at "like 25mph" and on what bikes (assume pedal-powered)? My daughter can manage 25mph for a few hours but she's on a TT bike and has been 'practising' (race on Saturday in Texas btw). Noone on the type of riding to which you aspire will be going at 25mph (NB carrying 110 lbs of luggage). Why on earth are you concerned about average speeds: on "hobo touring"?
I would also make a note to your future self to increase the diameter of your rotors (currently 160mm) to increase the braking power with the loads you've described (not needed till then).

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MorbidMonkey

Im running 80 up front and 90 in rear... Trek is the company that made the bike. And Trek is the store i took it to to outfit it. Im confused as to why you would ask me who Trek is.. Thats like asking who Ford is when i say i took my car to a Ford Dealership.
A far as the 25mph thing. Ive watched tons more videos and some of people actually riding 25 on a speedometer. Its a trick of the camera lens.. It only looks like they are doing 25.. when the speedo shows 15. And 12-14mph is my current average. Why does it matter when hobo touring. Because i still need to be able to calculate places for stops and camps. Im not talking like literally homeless.. Im talking about self supported touring. And since the post, after learning more, my 12-14 mph average is quite good for the weight im carrying.

Ajax Bay

Guru
So a mechanic in a 'Trek' bike shop "aired it up to 70" - that's what I was trying to check.
With that load 80 F and 90R seems fine for 32mm tyres, 10 less for 35s.
Worth loading up the bike and sitting on her, feet on pedals (with help or leaning against a wall), with some bathroom scales under first the front and then the rear. That would give you a measure of the actual load on each wheel/tyre.
12-14mph average sounds like good going with that amount of stuff.
Ride on, and go to 35s if you are loading up and setting forth.
Can always keep the 32s at home for 'emergencies'.

Top Bottom