Hey All

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timmo

Hey everyone, i've decided to take up cycling again after my last attempt only lasted about 2 weeks :evil: I've now moved and am right next to the woods. I'm quite unfit at the mo and am trying to find out how far I should be doing and how often to get my fitness levels up. I live in the Forest of Dean so not as if i'm short of tracks. :rolleyes:

Shaun

Founder
;)

As a minimum target aim to get 'out of breath' for twenty minutes, three times a week.

You'll notice a marked improvement in your fitness levels after just a couple of weeks.

mickle said:
As a minimum target aim to get 'out of breath' for twenty minutes, three times a week.

You'll notice a marked improvement in your fitness levels after just a couple of weeks.
.. and then you can go one of two ways:

1) Keep doing the same basic distance / speed for less effort. (This is what I did at first :sad:), or ..
2) Keep the same amount of out of breathness, but put in a whole bunch more effort.

Obviously, 2 is the best option for getting fitter!! But, as my name implies ..

Welcome, by the way. :smile:

OP
OP
Timmo

Timmo

Sorry to revive an old topic. Just thought I'd quickly reintroduce myself.

I have once again started mountain biking and am a bit more serious this time, I have been going to the gym three times a week since October so my fitness has improved and now the weather has improved I'm aiming to go out three times a week along with my three days at the gym.

When out on my bike at the moment (only been out 3 times) I find after a while my thighs ache big time, how long untill I get past this stage, any tips to improve this?

Also what are your must have bike accessories?

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hi Timmo,

a belated welcome to CC!
You say your thighs ache big time, which they shouldn't do after a short ride, unless you are pushing yourself VERY hard, especially as you say you are otherwise quite fit from the gym. The following is me guessing, so tell me to push off if I've got it wrong :whistle: .

The only time I've had this problem was when I was out on a borrowed bike and the saddle slipped down. It wasn't quick-release, we had no tools with us :blush: , and I didn't want to disrupt the ride by going back early. My thighs were screaming like never before or since. Lesson learnt - a saddle that's too low for you makes your cycling action very inefficient, i.e., you can't use the power in your legs properly. Simple physics. :thumbsup:

In case you don't know how to check this, sit on the bike and put one heel on a pedal. Your leg should be almost straight. If your knee is bent quite a bit, up your saddle height and go for a ride round the block. Then repeat. If you have been riding with too low a saddle, it may take you a little while to get used to the new riding position and feel wobbly, so you can adjust a bit at a time.
(For proper mountain biking, you may want to keep the saddle a little lower than for road biking, but not by a lot, from what I've been told.)

Hope you can get it sorted!
T

OP
OP
Timmo

Timmo

I raised the seat a few inches and what a difference it made today, thanks for the tip. I thought it was fine how I had it but obviously not.

Top Bottom