Hey, New here! need advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toole

Hello everyone!

Basically use to be into bmx alot of jumps when i where younger. I have decided as i had some spare cash, which was nice! xx( to buy a new bike.

Because of the new bike i purchased a new helmet, a raleigh missile 2. I measured my head just above the ears and full circumfrence was 57inches. So i have bought a 54-58" helmet. Now it fits nice, but it looks quite small when on. My housemate mentioned this aswell. Maybe a pic might help? I shall sort it later.

Anyways, i got back into biking for many reasons i think. Commuting to and back from uni and work. Living in a city centre this will help loads compared to the bus! I think i would like to travel a bit on it. I have a lightweight 3man tent specifically for touring on a motorbike/walking etc.

And finally my bike? Well i was after a mountain bike/jump bike variant. i really wanted the Diamondback beta jump bike, it looked nice and was only 180on ebay 2 months ago but is now about 230. I only had 200quid for everything. looked around and seen a Barracuda Jacabat around 160pounds which i liked the look off. Im not going to ask the world for the bike so only needed a cheap run around i could actually have some fun on.

tesco had a 40% off sale luckily when i was looking last week. so ended up getting it for just over 140quid.

Am very excited! :sad:

http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=100-0567

oh help yourself to a drink or smoke, as the bar is open! :sad:

col

Legendary Member
Welcome Toole,Im not used to the bikes looks,i take it you can get the seat very low to allow for high drop offs?Or am i on the wrong track?

Welcome to our world Toole. Looks like a nice bike (though not really my area of expertise, to be honest). You might struggle to go camping on it, unless you can fit a rear rack, but it should be great for commuting. Especially if you can get hold of some slick tyres for it.
Stick around and let us know how you get on!

Hello Toole - welcome. You'll soon be saving the pennies to buy an upgrade, once the bug takes a hold. I would advise that you use stabilisers though, as a 57inch circumfrence bonce will need a bit of support when taking corners at speed!:wacko:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Welcome to the forum :smile:

I'm hoping one day to be brave enough to do a tiny jump but I think that day is probably a long way off :wacko: :biggrin:

Have fun on your bike :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Rhythm Thief said:
Welcome to our world Toole. Looks like a nice bike (though not really my area of expertise, to be honest). You might struggle to go camping on it, unless you can fit a rear rack, but it should be great for commuting. Especially if you can get hold of some slick tyres for it.
Stick around and let us know how you get on!

Nah, come on RT, kids in Childrens Film Foundation films (remember them?!) managed to go off and have all sorts of adventures, usually on BMXs. (Maybe they made the sensible girl with freckles, (there was always one) carry all the luggage on her girly bike...):wacko:

I'm sure some sort of rack could be fitted...

As for jumps, well, as someone who gets nervous just riding off a kerb, I'll leave that sort of thing to Toole...

Anyway, welcome Toole!:biggrin: Enjoy your new bike. I'd say if your helmet feels like a good fit, that's probably OK - better to be snug than loose. But yes, I suspect you mean cms - 57" is almost 5 foot... Unless you are one of those football club mascots or something....:biggrin:

Oh, and if you haven't had a bike for a while, two things: Do make sure you have a decent lock (D-lock preferably), especially if you're going to be parking it in town, or at a Uni. It looks like the sort of bike a thief would fancy, especially while it's new and shiny And if you're going to be riding on the roads, and haven't done so for a while, a copy of the book Cyclecraft will tell you everything you need to know about safe cycling.

Oh, three things - lights!

Think that's it for now....:smile:

welcome

Arch said:
As for jumps, well, as someone who gets nervous just riding off a kerb, I'll leave that sort of thing to Toole...

On a £140.00 bike from Tesco's i'd be nervous about jumping off kerbs too

Toole ... do not try to do any serious jumping on that bike ... It'l snap in half mate

Simon

OP
OP
T

Toole

I dont really intend too.. I know what it can and cant do, after refurbishing bmx's and other push bikes for a couple of year now i get to see how well things are built haha.

The bike is 200quid everywhere else so.. :becool:

Yer i mean cm's haha, fits a treat and even has a rear flashing LED on the part you twist to tighten the back. Just "looks" a tad small on my head if you see what i mean. But luckily so does my mates so it must just be me. Into motorbikes as well so not having a full face helmet on does feel a bit, under protected shall i say..

Arrives tomorrow, quite looking forward to my first trip to uni. Aye dont worry, got a double lock set. Trust me, only one type of uncroppable security chain in the world that is on the market, almax. Luckily what im using the bike for, it will either be indoors when im at work or home or in secured areas at university :smile:

daddybikes

I hope you don't mind this bit of shameless advertising but be are currently setting up our mail order internet bikes store and we are selling this bike for £89.99 +£15 Flatrate P&P

26" Barracuda Jacabat
http://www.daddybikes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2

i know some of you are going to say we only have 3 bikes listed we are about 3 week away from the site being fully launched (we are waiting for our suppliers to give us there updated catalogues for this year)

we however currently open for business and taking orders

Top Bottom