Hey there. I need to pick some brains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nutrigainskitchen

Hey guys.
I'm looking at doing a charity ride from stockport Manchester to Amsterdam in April so would love any info possible.

Literally every bit.lol.
I'm new to this so would like to know about what bike would be best, best place to download maps, thoughts on if I should camp / couch surf / stay in digs etc, equipment/ gear I should take.

Any info would be appreciated

And finally the small fact that I need to do it on a tight budget

No pressure

Thanx in advance
Ash.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So let's start off with the bike. What budget do you have available for this? Second hand is obviously going to be cheapest but do you have someone who can check it out for you?
Equipment will depend on how you want to do the trip. Again what money is available for this?
Maps and routes can be sourced and followed on your phone. I'm sure others will have some suggestions here. Any time frame? How far do you think you can cycle in a day? Are you reasonably fit?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
IMO this would fit the bill, subject to being your size. A mountain bike. Found in Stockport Gumtree asking £100. Already has road tyres on it. No front suspension which only adds weight, plenty of gears. Need to be checked out of course.

Screenshot_20190913-185220.png

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
IMO this would fit the bill, subject to being your size. A mountain bike. Found in Stockport Gumtree asking £100. Already has road tyres on it. No front suspension which only adds weight, plenty of gears. Need to be checked out of course.

View attachment 484977
Women’s subway model?
Not that it really matters If the bike is the right size but is the op Ashley or Ashleigh...some men might get hung up on riding a ‘women’s bike’ for some reason

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

View attachment 484977

Unfortunately it also lacks any form of mudguards and pannier rack. I'd rather buy a used MTB still fitted with the cheapo type of black knobbly tyres they were normally supplied with. MTB's already converted to road tyres might have done a lot of commuting miles and could have significant mechanical wear & tear. When buying used bikes, ideally you want something that looks to be in factory spec, and has only ever been ridden a few times before being put in the shed and forgotten about for twenty years. That way you can get a virtually as new condition bike that will need nothing more than a grease-up and maybe a change of tyres.
A good spec steel hybrid factory-fitted with full mudguards and a rack might be a better starting point, and don't overlook traditional touring bikes either as they were built for comfort and stability over long distances.

OP
OP
Nutrigainskitchen

Nutrigainskitchen

Thanx guys.
The ride is for our own charity. I have been looking at what kind of bike would be best and I do think a hybrid atm. I'll deffo take a look on stockport gumtree. I was possibly thinking a racer with wider tires but I think some of the terrain is bad.
I've actually been looking at ladies bikes as I'm a short guy 5ft. So very hard to find a bike of a perfect fit.
I do consider myself reasonably fit although cardio has always been a hell no. Until now! Hahaha. I didnt want to spend more than 350-400 on the bikes all other costs are mounting up.
I currently ride a mountain bike but do find it a bit sluggish.

I've actually been looking at ladies bikes as I'm a short guy 5ft... So very hard to find a bike of a perfect fit... I didnt want to spend more than 350-400 on the bikes all other costs are mounting up.

If you're a bit... undertall... and you are on a budget, there is another option. Junior bikes. No, don't laugh. They offer a lot of bang-for-buck and you should be able to buy new on that budget, what with all the pre-Xmas offers kicking in.

I'm 4ft 11 and 8st 4 (I'm a gal btw) and I ride a Wiggins Chartres 26 hybrid.

Mine is set up as a commuter / tourer. It has full length guards, a rack that will take panniers *and* a rack bag, plus it will take a bar bag up front as well. Added to the fact that it's not heavy (about 12kg with all the aforementioned gubbins attached) and has gearing to suit all but the steepest of hills. It runs a 44-32-22 triple up front and an 11-34 9 speed on the back. Also has mechanical disc brakes and quick release skewers on the wheels. There's only one mount for a bottle cage, but it will take a 750ml bidon. Here's mine on a jaunt down to Hampshire back in July.

IMG_0006_small.jpg

I also ride a Wiggins Rouen road bike, but that won't be suitable as, while it'll take slim mudguards, you can't fit it for luggage. Plus it's on narrow 23c tyres which won't be comfortable for long distances.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You should be able to get out for less than £350/400 if you are careful. When looking try to find a bike that's had little use, maybe bought with good intentions and then put in a garage. Check the usual things like are the wheels true, can all the gears select and tyres. Prices are depressed right now and it's coming to the end of the summer so a good time to buy.
Any possibles post them on here for an appraisal.
Good luck.

Top Bottom