HGV Fatality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
True, hence me saying "unless the cyclist etc.". However, if the overtake was legal, how much room was the HGV driver not giving in order that a swerving cyclist (and not swerving too far judging from the width of the pothole and assuming he wasn't almost touching the verge) ended up under his wheels?

Sharky, we simply do not know the causal/proximal factors, their relative importance and how they coalesced in this fatal collision.

Apologies for repeating myself, but there is simply not enough detail in the reports to try to piece together what happened. Hence, why I'm not willing to speculate and why I do not think it is productive.

Origamist said:
I'm not arguing, I'm asking you to desist with your so called "reasonable suppositions" which are little more than a linguistic wrappers for speculation and second guessing.

I think you would do better to heed your own advice about unnecessarily prolonging this line of unilluminating and unedifying debate.

There seems little point in asking me a question, then having a go at me when I answer it. :blush:

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
There seems little point in asking me a question, then having a go at me when I answer it. :biggrin:

I'm not having a go and I'm sorry if that's the way it's coming across. I just do not think that suppositions (even if you think they are reasonable) are appropriate or helpful given the dearth of available info.

My last comments on the matter.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
Another HGV/cyclist fatality:

A cyclist was killed in Pimlico on Saturday, following a collision with a lorry.
Police were called at around 11.30am to reports that a cyclist had collided with a lorry at the junction of Vauxhall Bridge Road and Drummond Gate.
The cyclist, who was pronounced dead at the scene, was named as 48-year-old Everton Smith, from Fulham.

A post mortem is due to take place today at Westminster Mortuary, in Horseferry Road, Pimlico.

The incident is being investigated by Sergeant Simon Seeley from the Collision Investigation Unit at Catford Traffic Garage.

He wants to hear from passengers on the 436 bus, who may have seen what happened.

The bus was heading north towards Victoria at around 11.30am when the collision occurred.

Anyone with information is asked to call the witness appeal line on 020 8285 1574.

No arrests have been made.
http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fu...lled-after-being-hit-by-lorry-82029-26517737/
http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/fu...lled-after-being-hit-by-lorry-82029-26517737/

Ken Livingstone or other might pick it up as a mayoral election 'tool' perhaps?
'Night time' lorry action might make it similarly hazardous for night time riders I suppose.
Sad about the flatmate of the deceased - she has known four cyclists killed!
And I remember that day because I cycled past shortly after the accident - it was awfully silent.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
There's a ghost bike in Notting Hill for the above fatality - saw it on Sunday. As for a rush hour ban this has been debated before I think.

I attended the memorial ride for Eilidh Cairns and I wish the family all the best in their quest for justice and continued campaigning on behalf of vulnerable road users.

OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member

Origamist said:
Cyclist father of three killed on road where bike lane ‘is too tight’

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...illed-on-road-where-bike-lane-is-too-tight.do

And LCC (with Gaz's vid):
http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=1845

I found this quote quite interesting:

She said: “Where cycle lanes are less than 1.5 metres in width, it is because the road is too narrow to introduce a wider lane. The green tarmac at these locations helps cyclists to navigate and is designed to alert motorists to their presence.”

How does an inadequate lane help cyclists to navigate, obviously it didn't on this occasion. In general (not talking about this case particularly) cyclists on roads where there is limited space should be taking a more prominent position, not riding in the gutter. In my mind it is certainly possible that the lane was contributory.

This is the sort of case where relatives should be suing the council, IMO.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I found this quote quite interesting:

How does an inadequate lane help cyclists to navigate, obviously it didn't on this occasion. In general (not talking about this case particularly) cyclists on roads where there is limited space should be taking a more prominent position, not riding in the gutter. In my mind it is certainly possible that the lane was contributory.

This is the sort of case where relatives should be suing the council, IMO.

And what is interesting, is that most of the cycle lanes in Pimlico are of that width or smaller.

Top Bottom