HGV Speed Limits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But back to the original point, when I was driving I stuck to 40mph on all single roads, it was my licence no transport manager was ever going to make me go quicker.

Alan...

I have had so many rows with Transport managers about driving at 40mph.
The times a transport clerk has given me the paper work and said I must pull my finger out or it might get refused because you are late, "no I'm not late I have been sat here for two hours waiting for this"
I will not have pressure put on me to rush !

In all fairness I can only drive a car, I don't really know a lot about lorries apart from they're probably a bugger to reverse.

No, they are easy to reverse, the hard bit is getting them to go where you want, like blind side across a 4 lane road in a town at rush hour into a Sideroad about 10ft wide with pedestrians wandering all around you.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
We had a Lithiuanian at our place last year and when I was loading him I noticed that the tread was literally hanging off his tyres. I did a quick scoot around and to my mind he had at least 3 tyres that need replacing. I refused to give him his completed documents until he got a tyre company down and he and his boss were not best impressed, they seemed even less so when I told them I would call the old bill to go over his truck if they gave me any more aggro.

In the end 4 needed replacing and when he left I still phoned the plod as in my mind if you your tyres are in that condition something else will be wrong with the truck as well.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Forget the A roads. Ban them from overtaking on the motorway.

lol i know you have probably driven lorries so you will understand how mind numbingly boring it is sitting at a set speed on the motorway. Some lorries are faster than others so they overtake the slower ones and the world is a happier place.

campbellab

lol i know you have probably driven lorries so you will understand how mind numbingly boring it is sitting at a set speed on the motorway. Some lorries are faster than others so they overtake the slower ones and the world is a happier place.

Some are only just faster and takes them minutes to overtake! :smile:

mark st1

Plastic Manc
And how come big lorries are limited to 56, yet a coach with 50 or more souls crammed aboard can do 66? What's that all about?

Best post ever from your good self Sir :thumbsup:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
You have this lovely lane on the motorway called the fast lane or the outside lane which HGV's are not allowed in to.

P.S its also fun making the middle lane hoggers actually realize that they can change lanes.
And dual carriageways have an outside lane, often occupied by lorries overtaking other ones - or, all too often, failing to do so before the dual bit ends after a mere five miles...

To get back OT, I suspect if you're hit by a lorry doing 40 mph or 60 mph, the outcome will be much the same. Then again, I've not had a problem with a lorry that I recall.

Limited to 56mph.......mine could only do 28ish flat out! Wasn't overly popular coming down the A9 from Inverness....:unsure:

Increasing the limit is just a technicallity. As has been said before hgv's dont generally adhere to 40mph speed limit anyway. Assuming they do tho, given that motorists will still be desperate to pass a slower vehicle wouldnt increasing hgv limit increase the potential danger time of overtaking?

campbellab

You have this lovely lane on the motorway called the fast lane or the outside lane which HGV's are not allowed in to.

P.S its also fun making the middle lane hoggers actually realize that they can change lanes.

The motorway does get awfully clogged up sometimes when lorries overtake though! Normally because there's a car also doing 60 in the outside lane... :smile:

Top Bottom