HGVs in towns and cities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Origamist

Origamist

Legendary Member
HF2300 said:
I don't know, the film referred to in the Op was rather scattergun, this thread's finally calming down and getting to the point after 400 odd replies, and Panorama's pretty prime time and sensationalist these days - will it do the required job?

Beggars can't be choosers. Cycling on primetime tv is a vanishingly rare occurence, unless it's racing related.

The opening film is flawed but at least it broaches the problem. I also recall a ROSPA film about the issue, but couldn't find it - maybe someone else can.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm judging that based on his own words about the way he rides a bike, and about his somewhat less than stable emotional response (IMO) whenever the pressure gets a little elevated. I could be entirely wrong of course, but it's quite telling that he refused to be filmed riding his bike.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
Don't patronise me dondare, I'm on about getting in front the truck and maintaining eye contact with the driver to let them know I am there.

You jump the lights and think it's OK to do so. You ride without lights at night and think that you're all the better a cyclist for it.
I ride within the law and have my own strategies for staying alive but my argument remains the same, deaths are caused by dangerous drivers and dangerous vehicles. A thousand numpty cyclists don't kill as many as one lorry driver who can't see enough of the road to know if it's safe to turn or not.

Here's another bit of the Code:

Turning left
Use your mirrors and give a left-turn signal well before you turn left. Do not overtake just before you turn left and watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users in particular may be hidden from your view.

When turning

• keep as close to the left as is safe and practicable
• give way to any vehicles using a bus lane, cycle lane or tramway from either direction

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
That's funny, you have quoted me with an answer that has no relevance at all to the quote.

If you are stopped in the correct place at the lights, and then move forward two or three yards then you've broken the law. But in other posts you've already said that you don't stop at lights anyway. The other light reference (you riding without them) was added to emphasize that you don't bother too much about the law at all.

The Highway Code reference was to point out, again, that it's for drivers to look out for and give way to cyclists on their left when they're turning left.

dondare

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Why? None of his posts have indicated that he's anything other than a competent road user. My experience behind the wheel and on a bike leads me to the conclusion that there are more idiot cyclists out there than truck drivers too.

Idiots are allowed to cycle. I would very much hope that the rigorous training and testing process for HGV drivers filters idiots out.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
If you assume this when you are out on the road, then you are very naive and an incident is just waiting with your name on it.

I shouldn't assume that truck drivers follow the Highway Code?

cycling fisherman

I think that the dondares and anti hgv morons of this world would love it if there was no HGV drivers on this forum, then they could perhaps get away with some of the ridiculous and frankly outrageous claims and ideas that they make.

However, there are a number of HGV drivers on this forum including myself who have given the other side of the debate, and the dondares & the other morons do not like it...
its as simple as that, i read some of the comments of the "anti's" with total disbelief.

HGV drivers are BETTER than your average driver, LGV class 1 vehicles will allways enter london and towns and cities.

My vehicle runs on diesel and the additive adblue through a system known as scr, this reduces the emissions to a very near nil. injecting the adblue to the converter reduces all the harmful chemicals into nitrogen and water.
Another advantage of using adblue is that the emission standards of Euro 4 and 5 will be met

cyclist education is the way forward.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
Shame that, then they wonder why they have an accident. (give me strength)

What do you know about it? is this aimed at just hgv drivers or all drivers.

Don't HGV drivers have to take more tests than ordinary motorists?

When you are driving something that can kill then it's up to you to make sure that it doesn't. You know before you even decide to become a driver that the roads are used by careless children and inexperienced adults, people who are old and infirm and in various ways incompetent who aren't skillful or alert enough to avoid being killed by a driver who thinks it's up to everyone else to keep out of his way. If you aren't prepared to accept the responsibility that comes with driving then you shouldn't be doing it.

As you know, my gripe about HGVs is based on the obvious fact that they can't be used safely in narrow busy streets with cyclists and junctions, and the real-life accident figures bears this out.

dondare

Über Member
cycling fisherman said:
I think that the dondares and anti hgv morons of this world would love it if there was no HGV drivers on this forum, then they could perhaps get away with some of the ridiculous and frankly outrageous claims and ideas that they make.

However, there are a number of HGV drivers on this forum including myself who have given the other side of the debate, and the dondares & the other morons do not like it...
its as simple as that, i read some of the comments of the "anti's" with total disbelief.

HGV drivers are BETTER than your average driver, LGV class 1 vehicles will allways enter london and towns and cities.

I believe you. So the fact that half the cyclist's deaths in London involve HGVs must be down to the nature of the vehicle rather than the driver. Which is what I'm saying.

cycling fisherman said:
My vehicle runs on diesel and the additive adblue through a system known as scr, this reduces the emissions to a very near nil. injecting the adblue to the converter reduces all the harmful chemicals into nitrogen and water.
Another advantage of using adblue is that the emission standards of Euro 4 and 5 will be met

cyclist education is the way forward.

Safer vehicles and safer roads are the way forward.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
:biggrin: you reckon? after all the things that have been mentioned on this thread about cyclist positioning, cyclist attitude, basic common sense.

Nature of the vehicle, my arse dondare. Between you and BM I don't know who's the more ignorant, I really don't.

In all honesty, you are full of it the amount of anti-hgv drivel that you have come out with leaves me bored and very tired.

Children ride bikes. They don't have the experience and skill required to position themselves correctly, you have to make allowances. It isn't a matter of simple common sense to predict the path of both the front and the back of a long vehicle that's manoevering. I'm not justifying stupid or illegal behaviour by cyclists, I'm saying that not everyone riding a bike can possibly know how big vehicles move or how to avoid them.
When you buy your licence (Road Tax) you're entering into a contract with society not to use your vehicle in a way that endangers the public. That's all of the public, not just the ones who take care to keep out of your way.

I also am bored and tired so I'm going to bed now and tomorrow I'll talk about something else. I'm sure that we've both made all of our points.

dondare said:
I shouldn't assume that truck drivers follow the Highway Code?

You certainly shouldn't assume that they've seen you. Just because the highway code says it's ok for you to blithely ride between a 45' trailer and some pedestrian railings at traffic lights, doesn't mean it's safe to do so. And Lee is right: I'm afraid if you do ride like that (and I hope you don't!), sooner or later you'll find yourself in trouble.

Top Bottom