Hi...A soldier needing advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cleggers1991

Hi im Alex and im 18....ive recently just got into cycling and i would like to go on the road but my dad (a keen cyclist) says im too big and should look at track....im not sure i would like to go on the road but not sure what to do.....any advice welcome

cheers Alex

gavintc

Guru
You are 18, presumably earning your own money and probably not living at home - tell you your Dad to wind his neck in. Do what interests you most as you are more likely to continue doing it.

Will1985

Über Member
What do you mean by "too big"? Road is probably the easiest for getting on and riding, plus you see all sizes on bikes. You may not look like a racing snake, but not everyone who rides seriously or races is... another route could be time trialling which has more big guys.

Track is very dependent on where you live and can cost a fair bit in travel and sessions.

bauldbairn

gavintc said:
You are 18, presumably earning your own money and probably not living at home - tell you your Dad to wind his neck in. Do what interests you most as you are more likely to continue doing it.

+1, :biggrin:

What do you mean too big :biggrin: - there are all shapes and sizes of cyclist on here!!! We're not all 5'4", 8 stone aerodynamic wippets you now. :biggrin:

I'm 5'10.5" 16 stone of weight-training/boxing unaerodynamic muscle/beer(fat) - and I don't consider myself too big. Unless your 8ft and 60 stone you'll find a bicycle to fit you - so no probs there.

Oh! Hello and Welcome to the CC forums young man!!!! :biggrin:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Are you in the Army Alex? If you are contact the Army Cycling Union...All the advice you need is at hand. Your Unit may even have a cycling rep. Try both Track and Road and see what suits you best!

nosherduke996

In my local club there is this guy who is on the large side and has been cycling for years. When we go out on a club run he has no problem keeping up an average of 18 mph. He is so strong that he just keeps turning a large gear with low cadance and a lot of riders have trouble keeping up.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
There's a height and weight restriction on some of the roads around this way, but unless you're approximately HGV sized, I reckon you'll be fine. Roads are surprisingly strong. Go for it.

OP
OP
C

cleggers1991

Cheers Guys all good advice...i thort first comment was abit harsh...i mean big as im a bit of a gym freak....The time trialling comment was a good idea i will look in to that

cheers alex

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Cleggers
Engineers are seriously into thier sport (swimming in particular) They also have a good background in cycling. Find out who the corps / unit reps for cycling are and get in touch.
If your into your gym / fitness make your self known to your APTCi when you get too 21, get your swords and have the best job in the army!

montage

God Almighty
Be road cyclist.
That way, all that fine gym work is on show to all the girls in the peageuot 106 as you pull parralel to them at the traffic lights. Print you phone number on the back of your bib shorts and sprint away from the lights impressively, yet seemingly effortlessly. Profit.

...I would know :whistle:

On a serious note - do both if you have access to a track

OP
OP
C

cleggers1991

Be road cyclist.
That way, all that fine gym work is on show to all the girls in the peageuot 106 as you pull parralel to them at the traffic lights. Print you phone number on the back of your bib shorts and sprint away from the lights impressively, yet seemingly effortlessly. Profit.

...I would know :whistle:

On a serious note - do both if you have access to a track

haha good stuff :smile: yeah ill try both and see what goes on from there ta.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Hi im Alex and im 18....ive recently just got into cycling and i would like to go on the road but my dad (a keen cyclist) says im too big and should look at track....im not sure i would like to go on the road but not sure what to do.....any advice welcome

cheers Alex

Good luck with your army career and with the cycling.I think the beauty of road cycling is you can do it anywhere that has roads.21 Reg still in Osnabrucke ?Some great road cycling around there. Germany is much more cycle friendly than here.

If your taking a bike to your unit see about getting it locked up in the sports store , troop office or something.Theres something magnetic about a bike that attracts drunken squadies that manage to fall over it no matter where you put it.This is hillarious to everyone except the guy whos bike it is :wacko: Been there got the T shirts.

Banjo (Ex 38 and 23 Reg)

Top Bottom