Hi all another newbie god help us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

firewall

Hi everybody,

As title states another newbie, from couch potato in hibernation to venturing out to the great outdoors, its hard work!
30+ years since on a bike, god it's not the fun I remembered , it's a lot harder than I thought from the couch. Whose stupid idea was this, oh yeah mine, yeah get fit ,brillant. Buy a second hand bike and make sure before spending any real money! Wrong bike, wrong size ,great start !

So I have been lurking around this form for a wee while and know more now but overloaded with lots of information.
Need to get another bike more suitable to my needs. Bought a 2nd hand Giant Roam M, I am 6' 3'' feel I need a road bike but a more relax bike that will help me on stupid hills ! This thing doesn't !

Open to any helpful suggestions but not open pocket, 2nd hand might work but if 2nd hand what do I need to look out for. See a newbie but trying to learn.

Oh any easy way up these hills please? Granny gear and a lot of huffing and puffing at the moment^_^
Thanks for taking the time to read,

Last edited by a moderator:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
According to https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_au/rider_height_frame_size.pdf a size M of the Roam maxes out at 6'1" so that may be your biggest problem, assuming it's still got the standard parts and you haven't gone past the "MAX" safety marking on any of them. Riding a too-small bike is very hard work.

http://cyced.co.uk/blog/second-hand-bike-online-buying-guide seems like a fair start at what to look for if buying 2nd hand, but it's a bit of a lottery of course. You can never be 100% sure what the previous owner(s) did... but I've still got mostly 2nd-hand bikes anyway and most of them have worked most of the time. The renovations of two are described elsewhere among the messages on this forum.

The only easy way up the hills is

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LSho7AE2yo

- if you don't live in Trondheim, the best bet is to put it in the smallest gear you've got and just keep spinning. If you don't have a gear low enough, there's always the 24 inch gear (two foot gear - walking!).

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have a Boardman Team Carbon for sale if you are interested. I'm in North Cornwall. 55cm frame. Hubs was 6' when he got it but, due to a health problem, he's shrunk and is going go move to a trike.
I am literally just cleaning it, after it's been in a box for a year. Bit dusty :smile:

OP
OP
firewall

firewall

Thanks @mjr, love the lift :rolleyes: and I blame the bike size as well, nothing to do with my level of fitness or lack off any fitness!:whistle:

Thanks for the link as well

Last edited:
OP
OP
firewall

firewall

Saluki thank you for the offer but think that bike needs someone who is a true cyclist ,out every day! Thats not me just a beginner . Good luck with your sale.

Top Bottom