Hi and Good Morning

NigC

New Member
Location
Surrey
Hi everyone.

I just thought I'd introduce myself as I've just registered :wacko:

I cycle to work 3 or 4 times a week, walking on the days I don't cycle. It's a 5.5 mile journey each way so it's ideal for the bike - a little tough on the legs when walking though :laugh: But I have to be honest, I much prefer the walk - it's not a bad cycle, apart from a few small hills, but I just prefer to walk if time permits (it's 1.5 hours each way!).

As you can imagine, I have many "near miss" stories to tell (thankfully there's been no contact yet) and if you're really lucky I might treat you to some of my poetry!!!

Looking forward to getting to know you all :smile:
 
('oop north' mode on) Nah then ('oop north' mode off).

(Crowland mode on) Yewm a stanger rewnd 'ere! (Crowland mode off).:laugh:
 

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
:angry: NigC...thats a fair old walk there, 1.5 hours...wow...I would love to have the discipline to walk for 3 hours a day, you must already be pretty fit I guess.

Do you mind me asking, what is it that makes you prefer the walk?
 
OP
N

NigC

New Member
Location
Surrey
jonny jeez said:
:angry: NigC...thats a fair old walk there, 1.5 hours...wow...I would love to have the discipline to walk for 3 hours a day, you must already be pretty fit I guess.

Do you mind me asking, what is it that makes you prefer the walk?
I don't think I'm particularly fit - maybe just fit enough to cope with the walk, but that's about it.

I think I prefer the walk because it's "me-time". It gives me a chance just pass the time in a relaxed way (apart from the effort of walking of course :wacko:). While cycling is more of an effort, especially when most of the journey is on some sort of gradient (albiet mostly fairly small) - that and the extra stress of sharing roads with several hundred deadly machines each time. So when time permits, I'll take Shank's Pony, and when not, it's on me bike :ohmy:
 

gouldina

New Member
Location
London
Hi NigC. I entirely agree with your thing about me-time whilst walking. I used to walk everywhere if I could when I was in my late teens/early twenties for this very reason (lot's of stuff to think about at that age - mainly girls probably :wacko: ). You don't get that on a bike because of (a) the exertion and (:angry: the fact that it's so hectic and demands so much attention. I like the feeling cycling gives you afterwards though which you don't get so much from walking.
 

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Location
Auld Reekie
NigC said:
.

As you can imagine, I have many "near miss" stories to tell (thankfully there's been no contact yet) and if you're really lucky I might treat you to some of my poetry!!!
McGonagall??

Hallo and welcome, by the way :thumbsup:
 

bauldbairn

New Member
Location
Falkirk
Hello and Welcome to the CC forums NigC. :thumbsup:
 

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
NigC said:
I don't think I'm particularly fit - maybe just fit enough to cope with the walk, but that's about it.

I think I prefer the walk because it's "me-time". It gives me a chance just pass the time in a relaxed way (apart from the effort of walking of course :thumbsup:). While cycling is more of an effort, especially when most of the journey is on some sort of gradient (albiet mostly fairly small) - that and the extra stress of sharing roads with several hundred deadly machines each time. So when time permits, I'll take Shank's Pony, and when not, it's on me bike :biggrin:
gouldina said:
Hi NigC. I entirely agree with your thing about me-time whilst walking. I used to walk everywhere if I could when I was in my late teens/early twenties for this very reason (lot's of stuff to think about at that age - mainly girls probably :biggrin: ). You don't get that on a bike because of (a) the exertion and (:smile: the fact that it's so hectic and demands so much attention. I like the feeling cycling gives you afterwards though which you don't get so much from walking.
I see your point.

I find that the only time i truly "relax" on a bike is if I am off road, on a woodland (or something) track riding really slowly and without real effort...I guess like a walking pace.

I get to think, zone out and chill, whilst covering at least three times as much distance (so explore a lot more) without any real exertion.

I really enjoy that sort of ride (especially if i can involve the family)

I think I would enjoy a walk along a similar vein, but a walk to work would just be to intense, once I'm on any sort of clock I cant seem to hang about and just want to get wherever I'm heading as soon as i can
 
Welcome!

Sounds a lot like my commute. I've been doing mixed bus/walk/cycling a couple of times a week recently (only just getting back to cycling after an 'off') - it's about 6 miles each way and I'm tending to only walk home rather than to work. Takes me 1 hour and 40 mins mainly uphill. It sounds a long way, especially after a day at work, but with some music on or the radio on my little mp3 player, I find it's good exercise.
 
Top Bottom