Hi and Good Morning

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by NigC, 21 Apr 2010.

1. NigC

NigC New Member

Hi everyone.

I just thought I'd introduce myself as I've just registered :wacko:

I cycle to work 3 or 4 times a week, walking on the days I don't cycle. It's a 5.5 mile journey each way so it's ideal for the bike - a little tough on the legs when walking though :laugh: But I have to be honest, I much prefer the walk - it's not a bad cycle, apart from a few small hills, but I just prefer to walk if time permits (it's 1.5 hours each way!).

As you can imagine, I have many "near miss" stories to tell (thankfully there's been no contact yet) and if you're really lucky I might treat you to some of my poetry!!!

Looking forward to getting to know you all :smile:

2. ('oop north' mode on) Nah then ('oop north' mode off).

(Crowland mode on) Yewm a stanger rewnd 'ere! (Crowland mode off).:laugh:

3. :angry: NigC...thats a fair old walk there, 1.5 hours...wow...I would love to have the discipline to walk for 3 hours a day, you must already be pretty fit I guess.

Do you mind me asking, what is it that makes you prefer the walk?

4. Theseus

Theseus .

Vogon?

5. OP
    OP
    NigC

NigC New Member

I don't think I'm particularly fit - maybe just fit enough to cope with the walk, but that's about it.

I think I prefer the walk because it's "me-time". It gives me a chance just pass the time in a relaxed way (apart from the effort of walking of course :wacko:). While cycling is more of an effort, especially when most of the journey is on some sort of gradient (albiet mostly fairly small) - that and the extra stress of sharing roads with several hundred deadly machines each time. So when time permits, I'll take Shank's Pony, and when not, it's on me bike :ohmy:

6. OP
    OP
    NigC

NigC New Member

Worse! :angry::biggrin::biggrin:

7. gouldina

gouldina New Member

Hi NigC. I entirely agree with your thing about me-time whilst walking. I used to walk everywhere if I could when I was in my late teens/early twenties for this very reason (lot's of stuff to think about at that age - mainly girls probably :wacko: ). You don't get that on a bike because of (a) the exertion and (:angry: the fact that it's so hectic and demands so much attention. I like the feeling cycling gives you afterwards though which you don't get so much from walking.

8. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

McGonagall??

Hallo and welcome, by the way :thumbsup:

9. bauldbairn

bauldbairn New Member

Hello and Welcome to the CC forums NigC. :thumbsup:

10. Zell Dincht

Zell Dincht New Member

Welcome to cyclechet. Stay here and enjoy the posting.

11. I see your point.

I find that the only time i truly "relax" on a bike is if I am off road, on a woodland (or something) track riding really slowly and without real effort...I guess like a walking pace.

I get to think, zone out and chill, whilst covering at least three times as much distance (so explore a lot more) without any real exertion.

I really enjoy that sort of ride (especially if i can involve the family)

I think I would enjoy a walk along a similar vein, but a walk to work would just be to intense, once I'm on any sort of clock I cant seem to hang about and just want to get wherever I'm heading as soon as i can

12. Welcome!

Sounds a lot like my commute. I've been doing mixed bus/walk/cycling a couple of times a week recently (only just getting back to cycling after an 'off') - it's about 6 miles each way and I'm tending to only walk home rather than to work. Takes me 1 hour and 40 mins mainly uphill. It sounds a long way, especially after a day at work, but with some music on or the radio on my little mp3 player, I find it's good exercise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice